ClubFloyd Transcript:
The Song of the Mockingbird by Mike Carletta
As played on ifMUD on November 28 & December 5, 2021

The idea behind ClubFloyd is that each week at a pre-arranged time, a group of people meet online to cooperatively play a game of interactive fiction.

Below is a transcript of The Song of the Mockingbird written by Mike Carletta. The Song of the Mockingbird was released as part of the 2021 Interactive Fiction Competition, in which it took 3rd place overall, and tied for second place in the Miss Congeniality competition. You can learn more about the game, including how to download it, by visiting IFDB.


WARNING! Below you will find a transcript of people playing this game, and it goes without saying that the transcript is full of spoilers. So, if you've never played this game, and think you might like to at some point, I do not recommend reading any further. Instead, you might want to return to the interactive fiction page.


ToyShop & Floyditorium
#ClubFloyd Discussion



Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "load sleepmask songofthemockingbird"
CF ]
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF | There's a yellow Rose in Texas
CF | That I'm going down to see
CF | Her eyes are bright as diamonds
CF | And sparkle like the dew
CF | You may talk about your Dearest Mae
CF | And sing of Rosa Lee
CF | But the yellow Rose of Texas
CF | Beats the belles of Tennessee
CF |
CF | Press any key to continue. MoyTravis says, "I am a city person"
MoyTravis says, "and I don't know flowers"
MoyTravis asks, "but are there kinds of roses that are yellow?"
Jacqueline says, "Having spent the years of my prime in Tennessee, I'd like to object to the game's content thus far."
Jacqueline says (to Travis), "Yes, there are yellow roses."
Roger says, "sure"
Jacqueline pushes the green 'space' button.
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF |
CF | Thunder's powerful muscles move steadily under you as you gallop down
CF | the arroyo toward the showdown with the Black Blade. You don't know
CF | what you'll do without your trusty revolver, but you trust that fate
CF | will provide. Rosa's life depends on it.
CF |
CF | You can't play Lulabelle while you gallop, but you sing a bit of
CF | The Yellow Rose as you go. Others may think it's odd, but it
CF | whiles away the time on the trail. It's earned you your nickname, the
CF | Texas Mockingbird. You prefer to be known as regular old "Boots"
CF | Taylor, though.
CF |
CF | You draw in breath for a second verse, but the sound of a shifting
CF | rock brings you out of your reverie. You whip your head to the west.
CF | On a ledge in the arroyo wall, a line of heads jut above an
CF | outcropping. Four guns come out, all aimed in your direction, and
CF | shots begin starring the ground around you. You've been ambushed!
CF |
CF | The Song of the Mockingbird
CF | An Interactive Return To Yesteryear by Mike Carletta
CF | Release 1 / Serial number 210821 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.33 lib
CF | 6/12N)
CF |
CF | Episode 12: The Bloody Rose
CF |
CF | As more shots shower around you, you dive off Thunder's opposite side,
CF | and give his flank a slap, sending him off. He knows the way home. His
CF | jet black form disappears in the direction of El Crucero.
CF |
CF | You scramble behind the only cover in sight, a man-sized boulder. A
CF | few feet away, a bullsnake rears up, then slithers away to continue
CF | its nap elsewhere. Upslope, the Black Blade's men ping a few more
CF | shots off the boulder.
CF |
CF | To learn more about the special features of The Song of
CF | the Mockingbird, type ABOUT.
CF |
CF |
CF | Arroyo
CF | At this point, the trail south to the Crossed Keys Ranch passes
CF | through a narrow arroyo. Millennia of flash floods have carved it into
CF | a steep-sloped channel and turned its floor into a scrabble of rocks
CF | on a long journey to the Mississippi River.
CF |
CF | You're crouched behind the largest of these rocks, an irregular
CF | boulder that stands chest-high and runs the length of a man. Above you
CF | and to your west, an outcropping on a ledge conceals the gunmen who
CF | ambushed you.
CF |
CF | The trail north leads back to El Crucero.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis exclaims, "ooh it lists exits!"
DavidW says, "I've played through the first puzzle sequence, so I'll hold back until we've past it."
MoyTravis asks, "Tell us, game, what are your...Special Features?"
Knight_Otu asks, "Episode 12!?"
MoyTravis says, "First verb to try: sing"
DavidW says, "You can sing not abominally."
DavidW says, "yes, do sing."
MoyTravis says, "It's, like, a Western serial? I don't think there are 11 earlier games."
MoyTravis says, "...I hope there aren't 11 earlier games."
Roger says, "seems like a safe guess"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "sing"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Old
CF | Rosin the Beau.
CF |
CF | I've always been cheerful and easy,
CF | And scarce have I needed a foe.
CF | While some after money run crazy,
CF | I merrily Rosin'd the Bow.
CF |
CF | Some youngsters were panting for fashions,
CF | Some new kick seemed now all the go,
CF | But having no turbulent passions,
CF | My motto was "Rosin the Bow."
CF |
CF | "We got a present for ya, songman!"
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "It is a western. I don't think there are other games in a series."
Knight_Otu says, "I mean, yeah, there probably aren't."
Jacqueline says, "We ditched the horse but kept the guitar. Sure."
Roger says, "I think we should examine our hat, which we surely have"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x me"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X ME
CF |
CF | You're plain old Boots Taylor — ruggedly handsome cowboy hero. You're
CF | wearing your regular duds. A gunbelt hangs at your waist and a
CF | bandolier is draped across your chest. Lulabelle is slung over your
CF | shoulder.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x hat"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X HAT
CF |
CF | Your hat is a "Boss of the Plains" model from a new company called
CF | Stetson. It's white, of course.
CF |
CF | There's a brief hush from the gang. A canyon towhee tentatively cheeps
CF | out chili-chili-chili. From uphill, you hear a scratching,
CF | like a twig scraping a rock.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "I'm guessing that wasn't a towhee. Are we on a timer?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "about"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > ABOUT
CF |
CF | This story was written by Mike Carletta for the 2021 Interactive
CF | Fiction Competition.
CF |
CF | The Song of the Mockingbird is Merciful on the Zarfian
CF | forgiveness scale.
CF |
CF | In addition to the usual actions, you may wish to READ and SEARCH
CF | things. Hints are available via HINT. Finally, you can display the
CF | cover art using ART.
CF |
CF | Thanks to my wife and muse, Kathy. She is my sounding board, editor
CF | and chief tester. She deserves much of the credit, and none of the
CF | blame.
CF |
CF | Thanks to my All-Star team of beta testers: EpicIFer, J. J. Guest and
CF | Linus Åkesson. They patiently, thoroughly and ruthlessly tore my game
CF | apart.
CF |
CF | Many thanks to Crystal Rain, who created the beautiful cover art. You
CF | can see more of her work at [LINK]
CF |
CF | You may use The Song of the Mockingbird and its characters in
CF | interpretive dance, scrimshaw and porn parody. In fact, please do.
CF |
CF | This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
CF | International License. To view a copy of this license, visit
CF | [LINK] or send a letter to
CF | Creative Commons, PO Box 1866, Mountain View, CA 94042, USA.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "If I recall, this first puzzle is safe for experimenting. I don't think you can die in the first puzzle."
Jacqueline says, "hahaha - 'In fact, please do.'"
DavidW says, "yeah"
Jacqueline says, "Hm. He does say that the game is merciful."
DavidW says, "oh did it? That's nice."
Knight_Otu says, "I'm not tempted by the please do."
DavidW says, "The tone of the game doesn't feel merciful at all."
Roger says, "Please do 'rosin the bow'"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x belt"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X BELT
CF |
CF | Your gun belt rides low around your hips, but your holster hangs
CF | empty.
CF |
CF | Ace carefully clambers up onto the shale outcropping.
CF |
CF | An arm appears briefly, passing up a short cylinder. Ace leans to take
CF | the cylinder. The shelf shifts slightly beneath him, and he bends his
CF | knees to re-balance.
CF |
CF | Your apprehension grows as Ace appears. He's the Black Blade's
CF | right-hand man, a greasy barrel of flesh filled to the brim with
CF | malice. Last night, he and his gang robbed the dance hall. You and
CF | Rosa were spending some time there. With four guns on one, though, you
CF | had no chance of stopping them. You can still see Ace's gloating grin
CF | as he pulled your six-shooter out of your holster and backhanded you
CF | to the floor. You don't know why he didn't kill you.
CF |
CF | Then, disaster. Ace pulled Rosa away, and forced her to ride away with
CF | his gang. He and his men were careful not to hurt her, but you're
CF | afraid of what they might do to her now.
CF |
CF | Blood boiling, you took after them instead of waiting to raise a
CF | posse. Now, they have the drop on you again, and it looks like they
CF | plan to kill you this time.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Did we drop our gun or something?"
Roger says, "that's dynamite you darn greenhorn"
DavidW asks, "I don't think so?"
Knight_Otu says, "Gun got gotten."
DavidW says, "I forget."
Roger says, "I think we're brandishing it"
DavidW says, "oh"
Jacqueline says (to Roger), "No, the opening text said we don't have our gun."
Roger says, "oh I see"
Roger says, "just our geeee-tar"
DavidW says, "hmm. I want to suggest something, but I said I'd be quiet."
Roger says, "I wouldn't mind a suggestion"
MoyTravis says, "Ballsy of us to ride off to rescue what's presumably our girlfriend unarmed."
MoyTravis says, "Kick Ace."
Jacqueline says, "It's gone. I'm not sure we know why/how, but it said, 'You don't know what you'll do without your trusty revolver, but you trust that fate will provide.'"
DavidW asks, "So, your surroundings might have something?"
MoyTravis says, "THROW THE SNAKE AT ACE"
Roger says, "oh come on who throws a snake"
MoyTravis exclaims, "Us! We do!"
Roger says, "alright let's get to it"
Jacqueline says, "I had the same thought, but I think the snake is gone."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x snake"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X SNAKE
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Sorry."
DavidW says, "I don't think the snake is still there, but I did think of that first, yes."
MoyTravis says, "nooooooooooo"
Roger says, "our clever plan, foiled"
Jacqueline says, "That snake is from The Fire Tower school of wildlife, where the animal is in the text but then leaves before the next prompt."
Jacqueline says, "It's easier that way."
DavidW says, "I call those cameos."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah. That's a nice way to say it."
Jacqueline says, "Instead of 'unimplemented critters'"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "search rocks"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > SEARCH ROCKS
CF |
CF | You find plenty of rocks, but nothing else.
CF |
CF | Ace draws back his arm and hurls the short cylinder with an overhead
CF | roundhouse throw. It arcs toward you and caroms down the slope.
CF |
CF | Unsure of what to do, you dive down behind your boulder. From the
CF | other side, you hear a thunk, then an explosion shatters the quiet of
CF | the canyon. You're showered with small rocks and debris. Cautiously,
CF | you stick your head out once more.
CF |
CF | Jumpin' Javelinas! What was that?
CF |
CF | Ace makes a rude gesture toward you.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "'Carom' is a new verb for me."
Roger says, "I would have guessed 'karoom' or something, but I've heard it"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "talk to ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > TALK TO ACE
CF |
CF | "The time for talk is over, songman. Now it's time to die."
CF |
CF | Ace cautiously eases himself off the outcropping. An arm emerges to
CF | steady him on the way down.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "Reduced to throwing rocks, perhaps"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "take rock"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > TAKE ROCK
CF |
CF | (the scrabble of rocks)
CF | You hunt around and find a fist-sized chunk of flint.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "yesssss"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "throw rock"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > THROW ROCK
CF |
CF | (the chunk of flint)
CF | Dropped.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "ha"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "throw rock"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > THROW ROCK
CF |
CF | (the chunk of flint)
CF | The chunk of flint is already here.
CF |
CF | There's a burst of guffaws from behind the shale outcropping.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "throw rock at ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > THROW ROCK AT ACE
CF |
CF | (the chunk of flint at Ace)
CF | (first taking the chunk of flint)
CF | The chunk of flint unerringly arcs through the air and clonks against
CF | the rock outcropping. Nothing happens immediately.
CF |
CF | A moment later — suddenly — nothing happens.
CF |
CF | "Don't go nowhere, Boots. We got plans for ya!"
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "Timing may be important."
Jacqueline nods.
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "i"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | There's a brief hush from the gang. A canyon towhee tentatively cheeps
CF | out chili-chili-chili. From uphill, you hear a scratching,
CF | like a twig scraping a rock.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x duds"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X DUDS
CF |
CF | You're wearing your regular duds. Let's see: you've got shirt,
CF | trousers, boots, kerchief and hat. You're riding today, so you're also
CF | wearing spurs and chaps.
CF |
CF | Ace carefully clambers up onto the shale outcropping.
CF |
CF | An arm appears briefly, passing up a short cylinder. Ace leans to take
CF | the cylinder. The shelf shifts slightly beneath him, and he bends his
CF | knees to re-balance.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "stick our hat on a boulder and sneak around"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "throw rock at ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > THROW ROCK AT ACE
CF |
CF | (the scrabble of rocks at Ace)
CF | You can hardly pick up the entire field of rocks!
CF |
CF | Ace draws back his arm and hurls another explosive device with an
CF | overhead roundhouse throw. It arcs toward you and bounces down the
CF | slope.
CF |
CF | You flatten yourself behind the boulder once more. From the other
CF | side, you hear a thunk, then an explosion shatters the quiet of the
CF | canyon. You're showered with small rocks and debris. Cautiously, you
CF | stick your head out once more.
CF |
CF | Ace scowls and spits disgustedly when he sees you.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "darn it"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "search rocks"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > SEARCH ROCKS
CF |
CF | You find plenty of rocks, but nothing else.
CF |
CF | Ace cautiously eases himself off the outcropping. An arm emerges to
CF | steady him on the way down.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "take rock"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > TAKE ROCK
CF |
CF | (the scrabble of rocks)
CF | You hunt around and find a fist-sized chunk of flint.
CF |
CF | "Don't go nowhere, Boots. We got plans for ya!"
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "this episode brought to you by Acme Dynamite, for all your exploding needs"
DavidW says, "really should take a rock first"
Jacqueline says, "Well, it auto-took the last time I threw..."
Jacqueline says, "I'll wait until he reappears."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x bandolier"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X BANDOLIER
CF |
CF | It's a bandolier filled with extra bullets for your Colt revolver.
CF | You've felt a need for extra ammunition ever since the Black Blade
CF | trouble began.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X ACE
CF |
CF | You saw Ace climb back behind that outcropping.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x lulabelle"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X LULABELLE
CF |
CF | Lulabelle's your most prized possession — a six-string Spanish
CF | guitar.
CF | She was made by a fella named C.F. Martin back east, from mahogany and
CF | rosewood. He put her name, "Lulabelle", right on the fingerboard in
CF | mother-of-pearl.
CF |
CF | You've had Lulabelle for a dog's age. Folks like to joke that she's
CF | your wife, and you never disagree.
CF |
CF | Lulabelle is slung across your back, ready for a song.
CF |
CF | There's a brief hush from the gang. A canyon towhee tentatively cheeps
CF | out chili-chili-chili. From uphill, you hear a scratching,
CF | like a twig scraping a rock.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "I will shove this bullet right up your nose, Ace"
Roger says, "I don't care if you are an attorney"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x kerchief"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X KERCHIEF
CF |
CF | You have a bandana with a red calico print knotted about your neck.
CF |
CF | Ace carefully clambers up onto the shale outcropping.
CF |
CF | An arm appears briefly, passing up a short cylinder. Ace leans to take
CF | the cylinder. The shelf shifts slightly beneath him, and he bends his
CF | knees to re-balance.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "throw rock at ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > THROW ROCK AT ACE
CF |
CF | (the chunk of flint at Ace)
CF | You hurl the chunk of flint at Ace. He dances to one side, avoiding it
CF | easily, a grin forming on his broad face. Suddenly, the slab of shale
CF | he's standing on tilts to one side. Ace shifts to correct,
CF | overcorrects, stumbles and slides back behind the rock. You see him
CF | drop the small cylinder as he falls.
CF |
CF | A burst of shouting comes from behind the shale outcropping. A moment
CF | later, there's a blast and debris flies from behind it. Then, the
CF | canyon is silent.
CF |
CF | Cautiously, you rise from behind the boulder. A single rock, disturbed
CF | by the blast, bounces down the arroyo wall, rebounds from the shale
CF | outcropping and lands nearby. A larger section of the wall shifts, and
CF | begins to cascade down. And then the whole side of the arroyo is
CF | sliding and tumbling down, burying the outcropping beneath a pile of
CF | loose scree.
CF |
CF | After long, tense seconds of rockfall, the landslide subsides into a
CF | silence punctuated by an occasional pebble caroming down the slope.
CF |
CF | You hear weak moaning from the direction of the outcropping.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "You'll send 'em right to Apllo?"
Roger says, "woooo"
MoyTravis asks, "Hooray! Now let's climb down and grab one of their guns and summarily execute them all. That's how this goes right?"
Jacqueline says, "Maybe we should render first aid."
Jacqueline says, "We are wearing the good guy hat."
DavidW says, "well, you should at least see what sort of shape they're in."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x ace"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > X ACE
CF |
CF | You last saw Ace falling back behind that outcropping.
CF |
CF | You hear weak moaning from the direction of the outcropping.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "l"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S W
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Arroyo
CF | At this point, the trail south to the Crossed Keys Ranch passes
CF | through a narrow arroyo. Millennia of flash floods have carved it into
CF | a steep-sloped channel and turned its floor into a scrabble of rocks
CF | on a long journey to the Mississippi River.
CF |
CF | The irregular boulder you took cover behind is here, somewhat
CF | pockmarked from gunfire and explosions. Above you and to your west,
CF | you can see the outcropping where your ambushers were hiding.
CF |
CF | The trail north leads back to El Crucero.
CF |
CF | You hear weak moaning from the direction of the outcropping.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "go west"
MoyTravis asks, "Prolly either S or W?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to avoid another rockfall, you make your way up the
CF | slope to the site of the landslide.
CF |
CF | Behind the Outcropping
CF | A good portion of the slope has slid down the hill behind the
CF | outcropping, creating a scree of loose shale. An occasional pebble
CF | pings its way down the slope, but the immediate danger seems to be
CF | over.
CF |
CF | Rock dust hangs in the air, slowly settling, and you pull your bandana
CF | across your face to keep it out.
CF |
CF | Ace's upper body and one arm extend from underneath the pile, white
CF | with rock dust. With his free arm, he weakly beckons you closer.
CF |
CF | There's no sign of the rest of Ace's gang. You suppose they must be
CF | under all that rock.
CF |
CF | Ace, badly wounded, groans softly.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "talk to ace"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TALK TO ACE
CF |
CF | As you kneel beside him, Ace weakly grabs your arm.
CF |
CF | "Boots…" he croaks. "Yer not a bad fella." You wait, wondering if
CF | that's the end of it. Painfully, Ace opens his eyes once more. "You
CF | should know… Rosa never loved you." He pauses once more, gathering
CF | his
CF | strength. "She…" A shudder runs through him. When you touch his hand,
CF | he's gone.
CF |
CF | You rise once more, conflicted. Ace chose the wrong path in life, but
CF | no man is all bad. And what did he mean about Rosa? You remove your
CF | hat, and reflect silently for a moment. You notice a bulge in Ace's
CF | vest pocket.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Well I guess they're all dead already."
DavidW says, "examine Ace's bulge"
Roger says, "let us memorialize his death in song"
Knight_Otu exclaims, "Phrasing, game!"
Jacqueline says (to DavidW), "..."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah. Phrasing."
MoyTravis says, "Yes, let us sing."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x ace's bulge"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X ACE'S BULGE
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to examine Ace's gang.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Sure, sure, game. Be coy."
Roger says, "and there they saw a rock. But it wasn't a rock. It was Ace's Body."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "search ace's pocket"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > SEARCH ACE'S POCKET
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to search Ace's gang.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "search ace"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > SEARCH ACE
CF |
CF | Dipping into your hand into Ace's vest pocket, you come up with a gold
CF | casket. It's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. Intrigued,
CF | you decide to hold onto it.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "that's pretty weird"
Jacqueline says, "Dipping into your hand into..."
MoyTravis says, "Open it."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah. Even the best-tested game has some stuff."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open casket"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN CASKET
CF |
CF | There are two compartments in the gold casket — you'll need to
CF | specify
CF | which one you want to open.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x casket"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X CASKET
CF |
CF | This oblong casket fits perfectly in the palm of your hand. Its gold
CF | exterior is covered with intricate scrolling, and a few words are
CF | engraved on the top.
CF |
CF | A hinge three-quarters of the way along the top suggests that the
CF | casket contains a small and a large compartment. Both are closed.
CF |
CF | A thumbwheel protrudes slightly from the side on the end of the small
CF | compartment, looking like the winding stem of a pocket watch.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open small compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN SMALL COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | You flip the small compartment open, revealing a round indentation.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open large compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN LARGE COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | You flip the lid on the small compartment closed again.
CF |
CF | You flip the large compartment open, revealing a jumble of small gray
CF | discs.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I opened both compartments and I'm not completely sure what this thing is for."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x discs"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X DISCS
CF |
CF | The large compartment of the casket contains a jumble of rough gray
CF | discs, each about as large as the tip of your little finger.
CF |
CF | You pick one of the discs from the pile and hold it up for a moment.
CF | It gives off a distinct smell of rotten eggs. You drop the disc back
CF | into the casket, perplexed.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "Rotten eggs... sulpher?"
MoyTravis says, "Huh. Well. Okay, then."
Jacqueline asks, "Is this to make fire?"
Roger says, "I'm not sure if this is what 'blasting caps' actually are, but maybe"
DavidW says, "I didn't try, but I think you'd transfer a disk from one compartment to another, and yes, I'm guessing it's a complicated lighter."
Jacqueline says, "Sulphur, even."
Roger says, "or a complicated hash-snorting box"
Jacqueline says, "Well, I could play with it now or wait until we need it."
Jacqueline clears the save counter. DavidW says, "I don't know why it's so complicated, though, unless there's a 2nd type of disk to use later."
Knight_Otu says, "I guess it could be a lighter."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "SAVE"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "cf1"
CF | >
CF | > SAVE
CF | %% Enter a save filename to write:
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF | Ok.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "take disc"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TAKE DISC
CF |
CF | You pick a gray disc from the top of the pile. There are plenty left.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open small compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN SMALL COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | You flip the lid on the large compartment closed again.
CF |
CF | You flip the small compartment open, revealing a round indentation.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "put disk in indentation"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > PUT DISK IN INDENTATION
CF |
CF | The gray disc nestles into the circular indentation as if they were
CF | made for one another.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "close compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > CLOSE COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | (the small compartment)
CF | You flip the lid on the small compartment closed again.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "hrm"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x ace"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X ACE
CF |
CF | Ace is partially buried in rock scree from the landslide. Only his
CF | upper body and one arm are visible. Dust from the sunbaked rocks has
CF | turned him into a ghost.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "there's a wheel part too, yes?"
Jacqueline says, "OH RIGHT"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "turn wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TURN WHEEL
CF |
CF | The thumbwheel wiggles a bit, but doesn't turn.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Yeah, a turnwheel."
Knight_Otu says, "thumbwheel even."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open small compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN SMALL COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | You flip the small compartment open, revealing a round indentation.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "turn wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TURN WHEEL
CF |
CF | The thumbwheel wiggles a bit, but doesn't turn.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "the compartment may need to be open"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "take disc"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TAKE DISC
CF |
CF | Taken.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "turn wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TURN WHEEL
CF |
CF | The thumbwheel wiggles a bit, but doesn't turn.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "push the wheel?"
Roger says, "hard men deserve a hard Pez dispenser"
Jacqueline says, "hee"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "push wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > PUSH WHEEL
CF |
CF | The thumbwheel is fully inserted into the casket already.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "pull?"
MoyTravis asks, "Maybe leave this thing for later?"
Knight_Otu says, "I guess it is pull."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "pull wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > PULL WHEEL
CF |
CF | The thumbwheel slides out of the casket so that about a quarter inch
CF | of stem protrudes. The mechanism in the small compartment shifts
CF | slightly.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "put disk in indentation"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > PUT DISK IN INDENTATION
CF |
CF | The gray disc nestles into the circular indentation as if they were
CF | made for one another.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "turn wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TURN WHEEL
CF |
CF | You turn the thumbwheel, and the gold casket produces a soft,
CF | mechanical clacking. The gray disc jitters around in the small
CF | compartment.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "close compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > CLOSE COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | (the small compartment)
CF | You flip the lid on the small compartment closed again.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "turn wheel"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > TURN WHEEL
CF |
CF | You turn the thumbwheel, and the gold casket produces a soft,
CF | mechanical clacking. A wisp of smoke escapes from the casket, carrying
CF | a strong whiff of sulphur with it.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open compartment"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > OPEN COMPARTMENT
CF |
CF | (the small compartment)
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | Aha! The casket is some kind of new-fangled match! You'll know how to
CF | LIGHT THE CASKET next time!
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "There we go."
MoyTravis says, "Oh thank God we don't need to do that every time."
Jacqueline says, "heh"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x ace"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X ACE
CF |
CF | Ace is partially buried in rock scree from the landslide. Only his
CF | upper body and one arm are visible. Dust from the sunbaked rocks has
CF | turned him into a ghost.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I was worriedabout that, yes."
Roger says, "oh maybe that's what we were hearing when we heard something when he was lighting all that dynamite"
DavidW says, "It's like loading the gun in King of Shreds and Patches"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "move rocks"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > MOVE ROCKS
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "Once you know how, you can use the simpler LOAD GUN."
Jacqueline says, "oops"
Roger says, "maybe we can try to bury him, fittingly-like"
Jacqueline asks, "So. Whaddowewannado now?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x fist"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X FIST
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Well, I was gonna dig him out. Admittedly because I wanted his gun, not because I was going to bury him, but... yeah."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x hand"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > X HAND
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "sing"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Down
CF | by the River Liv'd a Maiden.
CF |
CF | Down by the river there lived a maiden,
CF | In a cottage built just seven by nine,
CF | And all around this lubly bower,
CF | The beauteous sunflower blossoms twine.
CF |
CF | Oh! my Clema, Oh! my Clema,
CF | Oh! my darling Clementine,
CF | Now you are gone and lost forever,
CF | I'm dreadful sorry Clementine.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Weshould tell a local sheriff and collect a huge bounty, then retire."
Jacqueline says, "'Down by the River Liv'd a Maiden' is a great funeral song, sure."
Roger says, "reckon so, Clem"
DavidW says, "This wasn't the main villian, y'know."
Jacqueline asks, "Oh, so the game's not over, then, David?"
Jacqueline smiles.
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "l"
CF ] Behind the Outcropping
CF ] Exits: e
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Behind the Outcropping
CF | A good portion of the slope has slid down the hill behind the
CF | outcropping, creating a scree of loose shale. An occasional pebble
CF | pings its way down the slope, but the immediate danger seems to be
CF | over.
CF |
CF | Rock dust hangs in the air, slowly settling, and you pull your bandana
CF | across your face to keep it out.
CF |
CF | Ace's upper body and one arm extend from underneath the pile, white
CF | with rock dust.
CF |
CF | There's no sign of the rest of Ace's gang. You suppose they must be
CF | under all that rock.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "There is more game, yes."
Knight_Otu says, "Right-hand man, I think the game called Ace."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Arroyo
CF ] Exits: S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You carefully pick your way among the fallen rocks back to the arroyo
CF | floor.
CF |
CF | Arroyo
CF | At this point, the trail south to the Crossed Keys Ranch passes
CF | through a narrow arroyo. Millennia of flash floods have carved it into
CF | a steep-sloped channel and turned its floor into a scrabble of rocks
CF | on a long journey to the Mississippi River.
CF |
CF | The irregular boulder you took cover behind is here, somewhat
CF | pockmarked from gunfire and explosions. Above you and to your west,
CF | you can see the outcropping where your ambushers were hiding.
CF |
CF | The trail north leads back to El Crucero.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Wish we hadn't slapped our horse."
DavidW says, "but we're going south"
Jacqueline says, "South not north? Okay."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Overlook
CF ] Exits: n S
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | It's a long trudge without Thunder, but eventually you reach a long,
CF | low ridge overlooking a small cattle ranch to your south. You
CF | recognize this place — it's the Crossed Keys Ranch. It's supposed to
CF | have been abandoned for years, but you can see a corral filled with
CF | milling cattle in the southwest corner of the ranch. These must be the
CF | missing cattle! There's no doubt in your mind that you've found the
CF | hideout of the Black Blade's gang.
CF |
CF | You hunker down for a moment and collect your thoughts. The last week
CF | has been a whirlwind.
CF |
CF | First, Rosa came to town. She's a traveling zapateado dancer. Her
CF | accompanist, Don Felipe, was with her. He plays a splendid guitar.
CF | They've been performing at the local dance hall, and Rosa's been
CF | making quite a hit with the local fellas.
CF |
CF | No one's been more smitten than you, and Rosa seems to feel the same
CF | way. In just a short time, you've come to mean a lot to each other.
CF | That must be why she was targeted by the Black Blade.
CF |
CF | The Black Blade! He appeared from nowhere, a slender man dressed all
CF | in black leather and carrying a sword. He leads a gang of outlaws
CF | who've terrorized El Crucero. Their first strike was to cut the
CF | telegraph lines and destroy the main office, leaving the town with no
CF | way to contact military government in New Orleans. Since then, he and
CF | his men have been everywhere: rustling cattle, sabotaging the
CF | railroad, intercepting the silver shipment — no one knows who's
CF | behind
CF | the mask, or what drives him.
CF |
CF | In this year of 1867, in the near anarchy of Texas after its
CF | disastrous defeat in the War Between the States, El Crucero had no one
CF | to turn to. You've done your best to help, but one old cowhand can't
CF | be everywhere.
CF |
CF | And now, the Black Blade has kidnapped Rosa. You don't know what his
CF | plan is, but it stops today!
CF |
CF | Overlook
CF | A long shallow slope leads down to the south, where you see the
CF | Crossed Keys spread out like a tumble of children's toys.
CF |
CF | It's a smallish cattle ranch. The main house is in the center,
CF | surrounded by outbuildings. Beyond that, there's open range dotted
CF | with cattle as far as the eye can see.
CF |
CF | There's a stable and a weathered barn to the east of the main house.
CF | Off to its west, there's a small windmill for pumping up water from
CF | the well. On the far side, you can see the bunkhouse and a corral
CF | filled with milling cattle.
CF |
CF | If it weren't for the cows, you'd think the place was deserted. But
CF | you know the Black Blade is down there somewhere, and he has Rosa. And
CF | you're going to find them!
CF |
CF | Wait — is that a man perched on the windmill? It's too far to tell.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "Is someone mapping?"
DavidW says, "I'll try to."
DavidW says, "This is more or less where I stopped playing"
Jacqueline says, "I am not above using look obsessively and wandering around aimlessly without a map, but if you map that is probably better for everyone. I said I was going to be a freeloader, yet here I am driving."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x windmil"
CF ] Overlook
CF ] Exits: n S
CF |
CF | > X WINDMIL
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x windmill"
CF ] Overlook
CF ] Exits: n S
CF |
CF | > X WINDMILL
CF |
CF | The windmill is off to the west of the ranch. It's probably for
CF | pumping water from a deep well.
CF |
CF | You can just make out a dark shape on the distant windmill. It might
CF | be a man.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I'm guessing the stable or barn is where we should head to first."
Jacqueline says, "My guess it is actually a man on the windmill."
DavidW says, "yeah"
Jacqueline asks, "So, south?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway.
CF |
CF | Irritated neighing comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "Irradiated neighing"
DavidW says, "I think we'll have to deal with Black whoever's men one at a time until it's just him (and Rosa) left."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x eyelet"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > X EYELET
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "That's such an odd detail."
Jacqueline says, "I have been skimming over the Exits in the header. huh. Thanks, brain."
DavidW asks, "We will likely need to hang something from that but what and why?"
Jacqueline says, "says, "Perhaps to hang a man," then spits on the ground."
MoyTravis says, "Prolly be more obvious later."
Jacqueline says, "Oops. I tried to do that right. Honest."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > X WAGON
CF |
CF | The ancient Conestoga wagon sits about forty feet to your west. In the
CF | distance behind it, you can see the ranch's windmill rising high above
CF | the prairie.
CF |
CF | Time has not been kind to the wagon; its canvas cover and left rear
CF | wheel are missing entirely. The wagon sits askew, leaning back on the
CF | axle. The cart's tongue and yoke, large enough to harness two horses,
CF | point up and over your head. At this angle, you can't see into the
CF | cart bed.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I think a fall trap is more likely."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x windmill"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > X WINDMILL
CF |
CF | The windmill is off to the west of the ranch. It's probably for
CF | pumping water from a deep well.
CF |
CF | You can just make out a dark shape on the distant windmill. It might
CF | be a man.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Can you, like. Walk behind the wagon and look in the cart bed."
DavidW asks, "Can we enter the cart?"
MoyTravis says, "Or is this a puzzle."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "x barn"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > X BARN
CF |
CF | There's a barn on the eastern side of the ranch, still dull red from a
CF | long-past paint job.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "enter wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > ENTER WAGON
CF |
CF | The Conestoga wagon is too far away.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n NE S SW W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | Across an open expanse to the west, you see a windmill mounted on long
CF | spindly legs. The windmill is probably for drawing drinking water from
CF | below ground, but you're more interested in the platform at the top.
CF | Squinting against the sun, you see a dark blotch there — a man?
CF |
CF | You eye the path. There's a broken-down wagon about forty feet away,
CF | but not a stick of cover between there and the windmill.
CF |
CF | You take off like a hare from a coyote, aiming to hide behind the
CF | wagon, but before you've taken more than a few steps —
CF |
CF | Zing! A bullet spatters into the ground at your feet, kicking up a
CF | plume of dust. You retreat double-quick to the stable. You're going to
CF | need a better plan if you want to get over there.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Sniper on the windmill, I guess?"
Jacqueline says, "oops. Yep."
Knight_Otu says, "Whoever it is on the windmill, they are armed."
Jacqueline says, "As people so often seem to be in Westerns."
Knight_Otu says, "Odd that."
Jacqueline says, "Or, y'know, just in modern-day Texas."
MoyTravis says, "You know, it being a no-death game seems...out of place, kind of, with the setting."
MoyTravis says, "Yeah it ain't like people don't got guns nowadays."
Jacqueline says, "Nah, I like a game that does a good job of making you feel danger even though it's going to go easy on you."
Jacqueline says, "It's a pretty good skill, and this game is doing it well. Good job, Mike."
DavidW says, "maybe enter the stable? I'm not sure which direction that is."
Knight_Otu says, "NE."
Knight_Otu says, "I'm pretty sure that's the direction."
Jacqueline says, "oops. One sec. brb"
DavidW asks, "Shall I drive for a bit?"
DavidW says, "oh, I'll wait"
olethros says, "people playin"
olethros has arrived. Jacqueline says, "I'm back."
DavidW says (to olethros), "It's 'Song of the Mockingbird' today."
DavidW asks (of Jacqueline), "Would you like me to drive?"
Jacqueline says, "I'm happy for you to drive now that we're past the part you've played, fwiw."
olethros asks, "beatles or racist US?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "ne"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > NE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and neighing with
CF | agitation.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Cowboy Age."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x horse"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X HORSE
CF |
CF | She's a Steeldust. Folks call them quarter horses, since no other
CF | breed can run a quarter mile as fast. This one is short and muscular,
CF | and has a coat of reddish-brown.
CF |
CF | She seems a bit skittish.
CF |
CF | As you watch the little horse restlessly shuffling in her stall, your
CF | heart melts. You decide to call her Dancer and save her from
CF | the gang as well.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x rafters"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X RAFTERS
CF |
CF | You peer into the dimly-lit rafters. There's something up there... it
CF | looks like the handle of something.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take handle"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TAKE HANDLE
CF |
CF | The handle is well out of your reach.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, ""high-ceilinged" sounds awkward to me."
Roger says, "I think there's something else in the stall"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x stall"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X STALL
CF |
CF | You look over the stall gate and see a quarter horse mare, whom you've
CF | decided to call Dancer. She seems a bit skittish.
CF |
CF | Beside her, you see an empty manger and a tub of drinking water.
CF | There's straw on the floor.
CF |
CF | A bullwhip is hanging on the wall behind the horse. You hope it's
CF | never been used on this stalwart lady.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take whip"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TAKE WHIP
CF |
CF | You reach for the whip. Dancer nips at you, and you take a step back.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "pet dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > PET DANCER
CF |
CF | You reach to stroke Dancer's mane. She nips at you and you pull back
CF | your hands.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "If we can get the whip, we can Indiana-Jones that 'handle'."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x manger"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X MANGER
CF |
CF | A wooden manger sits in the stall, within an easy arm's reach. It's
CF | empty.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x straw"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X STRAW
CF |
CF | There's a mound of straw for the horse's bedding, and more scattered
CF | to absorb her waste. You're pleased to see that it's been recently
CF | changed.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X GATE
CF |
CF | You look over the stall gate and see a quarter horse mare, whom you've
CF | decided to call Dancer. She seems a bit skittish.
CF |
CF | Beside her, you see an empty manger and a tub of drinking water.
CF | There's straw on the floor.
CF |
CF | A bullwhip is hanging on the wall behind the horse. You hope it's
CF | never been used on this stalwart lady.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x tub"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X TUB
CF |
CF | A tub of fresh drinking water sits in one corner of the stall.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x tack"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X TACK
CF |
CF | Well, let's see... there's everything you'd need for riding: saddle,
CF | harness, reins and so forth. You don't need any of this stuff right
CF | now, though.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "i"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "climb gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > CLIMB GATE
CF |
CF | Say, that's an idea! You start to clamber onto the wooden side of the
CF | stall. Dancer nips at you irritatedly, and you fall back to the floor
CF | chagrined.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sing"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Down
CF | by the River Liv'd a Maiden.
CF |
CF | Down by the river there lived a maiden,
CF | In a cottage built just seven by nine,
CF | And all around this lubly bower,
CF | The beauteous sunflower blossoms twine.
CF |
CF | Oh! my Clema, Oh! my Clema,
CF | Oh! my darling Clementine,
CF | Now you are gone and lost forever,
CF | I'm dreadful sorry Clementine.
CF |
CF | Dancer snorts derisively.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "Could Dancer be soothed by music?"
Jacqueline says, "oh, I guess not."
MoyTravis says, "Dancer is not impressed."
Knight_Otu says, "Apparently Dancer's a critic."
DavidW says, "I think we need an apple or sugar cube."
Jacqueline says, "I like how we're hiding from bad guys but have no issue just randomly singing or playing a guitar to give away our location."
olethros asks, "shakebutt?"
Jacqueline tenderly strums Lulabelle's string and sings, "Here I am bad guys, here I am in the stable. Come shoot me. Bang! Bang!"
Knight_Otu says (to ClubFloyd), "dance"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > DANCE
CF |
CF | You'll stick to singing, thanks.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "heh"
DavidW says, "I think we need to explore elsewhere, return to Dancer later."
Roger says, "if we open the stall, she might just bugger off"
Knight_Otu says, "They're nice bandits who'll only shoot when we're in their vision cone."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "SAVE"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "cf2"
CF | >
CF | > SAVE
CF | %% Enter a save filename to write:
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF | Ok.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says (to Roger), "yes, and that's an option to try later."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "open gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > OPEN GATE
CF |
CF | Dancer nips at you as you reach for the gate. You decide not to open
CF | the gate just yet.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "gosh"
Roger says, "new name: Bitey"
Knight_Otu asks, "Dancer, or Nibbler?"
DavidW says, "Nabisco"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "name dancer nibbler"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > NAME DANCER NIBBLER
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | > olethros says, "oh it's a horse"
Jacqueline says, "Sadly, naming is not an implemented verb."
MoyTravis says, "Unfortunate."
olethros says, "that's why you said 'apple'"
Roger says, "already let's move on"
Jacqueline says, "yeah"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne S SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway.
CF |
CF | Irritated neighing comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | You silently approach the feed barn. It's a two-story affair, with the
CF | second-floor hayloft projecting a few feet beyond the main floor. A
CF | glint of light attracts your attention, and you spot a long barrel
CF | protruding from the hayloft window.
CF |
CF | You carefully edge closer, until you can see a pale man in profile,
CF | training his rifle on the center of the compound. It's Whitey!
CF |
CF | Whitey's one of the Black Blade's top lieutenants, the one he calls
CF | for the really dirty jobs. Only a few days ago, Whitey sabotaged the
CF | trestle bridge over Buzzard Gulch. You managed to get the people off
CF | —
CF | and what a wild ride that was! — but the train and its shipment of
CF | vital construction materials now lie at the bottom of the gulch.
CF |
CF | Whitey smirks, displaying an evil gap-toothed grin. Suddenly, he
CF | shifts his gun sideways and snaps off a shot at you. Just in time, you
CF | leap forward, and dive into his blind spot beneath the hayloft. That
CF | was too close!
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "let's stay here"
DavidW says, "I think Dancer might like this hay."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > X HAY
CF |
CF | There's a feed trough full of dry hay here.
CF |
CF | You hear a board shift in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x overhang"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > X OVERHANG
CF |
CF | The second floor of the barn is a hayloft. It projects a few feet
CF | beyond the main floor to aid in raising and lowering the hay bales.
CF |
CF | A large west-facing window gives Whitey a commanding view over the
CF | center of the ranch, and you occasionally see his rifle barrel probing
CF | out of it.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "I'm having trouble visualizing what's going on. He's upstairs, and we're...under him?"
Jacqueline says, "I believe so."
DavidW says, "yes"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > TAKE HAY
CF |
CF | As you grab an armful of hay, you feel something hard underneath. You
CF | poke around in the hay and unearth a weathered block and tackle. It
CF | could be helpful — you add it to your belongings.
CF |
CF | You hear the rustle of hay from above.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x block"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > X BLOCK
CF |
CF | The block and tackle is a system of pulleys for lifting heavy objects.
CF | This one multiplies your force by a factor of eight. One end of the
CF | block and tackle has a sturdy hook for suspending it.
CF |
CF | You hear footsteps as Whitey changes position.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "so, something for the eyelet."
Jacqueline says, "mmhmm"
Knight_Otu says, "Sounds like it."
DavidW says, "But I don't remember anything heavy to lift there."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "i"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S E W
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | some hay
CF | a block and tackle
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "If we go north, will we be shot at again?"
DavidW asks, "Should we risk going east into the barn?"
Knight_Otu says, "The possibility exists, I'd say."
Knight_Otu says, "We can try it."
MoyTravis says, "Try it - it won't kill you."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You pause as you enter the dim barn to allow your eyes to adjust.
CF | Overhead, you hear the creak of boards and the rasp of Whitey's
CF | breath. A moment later, you see a flash of his pasty face as he sneaks
CF | a peek through the opening to the hayloft.
CF |
CF | You tilt your head and address the hayloft. "Whitey! I can hear you
CF | breathing up there! You can still walk away from this! Throw down your
CF | gun, and we can talk this out!"
CF |
CF | You hear a snort of suppressed laughter, then Whitey's high voice says
CF | "No one's walkin' away this time, Boots. One of us is leavin' in a
CF | casket, and that one is you!"
CF |
CF | With that witticism, Whitey falls silent. You won't be able to get to
CF | the main house with him sniping from the hayloft. It seems you'll need
CF | to find a way to get him out of there.
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Oh, we're stuck in here, I guess."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x trapdoor"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > X TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | The upper level of the barn is a hayloft. A small opening provides
CF | access from the main floor. Through it, you can see the barn roof high
CF | above, but most of the hayloft is invisible to you. A tangle of hay
CF | trails through the opening, but it's still a couple of feet out of
CF | reach.
CF |
CF | You'd expect a ladder here, but it's missing — probably Whitey has
CF | pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | Whitey crouches somewhere above you, guarding the center of the ranch
CF | compound. You occasionally hear the soft rasp of his adenoidal
CF | breathing.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "guess we'll just burn the whole thing down"
DavidW says, "hm. If we had something to stand on, we could light that tangle."
Roger says, "like a horse"
Knight_Otu says, "Maybe that's the way. I have some doubts though."
DavidW says, "or a barrel"
DavidW says, "anyway, we can't do it yet"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S e W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear the rustle of hay from above.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway.
CF |
CF | Irritated neighing comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "ne"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > NE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and neighing with
CF | agitation.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | There's a metal handle sticking a few inches off the dark rafters
CF | overhead. Now that you've seen it, you don't know how you could have
CF | missed it before.
CF |
CF | Dancer follows your every move with her eyes. She seems interested in
CF | something you're carrying.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put hay in manger"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > PUT HAY IN MANGER
CF |
CF | Cautiously, you lean over the stall gate and dump your armload of hay
CF | into the manger. Seeing which side of the bread is buttered, the mare
CF | allows it.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "z"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > Z
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "pet dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > PET DANCER
CF |
CF | You reach around both sides of Dancer's neck and scratch her ears. She
CF | lays her head across your shoulder and shudders softly.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "climb gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > CLIMB GATE
CF |
CF | Say, that's an idea! You clamber onto the wooden side of the stall,
CF | balance precariously, and reach for the rafters. Even with the added
CF | height, your fingers fall hopelessly short. You jump back to the
CF | floor, and Dancer looks at you bemusedly.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "open gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > OPEN GATE
CF |
CF | You swing the stall gate wide.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "enter stall"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > ENTER STALL
CF |
CF | You enter the stall, giving Dancer a brisk rub with your hands as you
CF | step to her side.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take whip"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TAKE WHIP
CF |
CF | You give Dancer a brisk rub with your hands as you step past her and
CF | lift the whip from the wall. She gives you a grateful nuzzle, then
CF | noses with greater interest around your clothes.
CF |
CF | Smiling, you remember. You dip into a previously-forgotten stash and
CF | bring out a few irregular lumps of sugar. You were holding these for
CF | Thunder, who has quite a sweet tooth. You hold a piece of sugar out
CF | and Dancer happily mumbles it from your hand.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "out"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > OUT
CF |
CF | You step back out of the stall, giving Dancer a farewell pat.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "oh yeah, secret sugar"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "close gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > CLOSE GATE
CF |
CF | You swing the stall gate closed again.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "whip handle"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > WHIP HANDLE
CF |
CF | You swing the whip back and snap it forward, sending the whip in the
CF | direction of the handle with a loud crack. The whip wraps
CF | neatly around the handle. With a jerk, you flip the object off the
CF | rafters to the floor.
CF |
CF | You can now see that it's a branding iron for the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | Well, it could be useful. You pick up the iron.
CF |
CF | Dancer gives a start at the crack of the whip, then gives you
CF | a disapproving look.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "you dont"
Roger says, "oh there we go"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x iron"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X IRON
CF |
CF | It's the branding iron for the Crossed Keys Ranch. Appropriately, the
CF | working end of the iron is two keys that intersect in an X. It's a bit
CF | over two feet long, and made of cast iron.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "crack that whip! Give Whitey the slip."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x keys"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X KEYS
CF |
CF | It's the branding iron for the Crossed Keys Ranch. Appropriately, the
CF | working end of the iron is two keys that intersect in an X. It's a bit
CF | over two feet long, and made of cast iron.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "examine dancer's brand"
MoyTravis asks, "Two feet long, what kinda novelty gag key is this?"
DavidW says, "It'd be weird if these keys actually work AS keys."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x dancer's brand"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X DANCER'S BRAND
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X DANCER
CF |
CF | Dancer is a Steeldust. Folks call them quarter horses, since no other
CF | breed can run a quarter mile as fast. This one is short and muscular,
CF | and has a coat of reddish-brown.
CF |
CF | She's looking at you with affection and hope.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "booo but okay"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I guess Dancer's unbranded."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put block on eyelet"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUT BLOCK ON EYELET
CF |
CF | You insert the hook of the block and tackle into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "l"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the corral kicks up dust at your feet.
CF | You dart a glance that way and see a figure holding a long gun. You
CF | retreat.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S e W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x whitey"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S e W
CF |
CF | > X WHITEY
CF |
CF | Whitey is crouching in the hayloft, but he's out of your sight at the
CF | moment.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n S e W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the windmill nearly puts a hole in you.
CF | Whirling around, you see the distant figure of a man poised on the
CF | windmill platform with a rifle to his shoulder. You dive back to
CF | cover.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Just catching back up - Travis, the brand is two feet long, not the keys."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | A squat barrel sits against the bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "So, was the idea of setting the barn on fire a jest, or ... ?"
Knight_Otu says, "I think it's looking more likely now."
Lionheart asks, "So Club Floyd doesn't use the Floyditorium anymore?"
Jacqueline says (to Lionheart), "You mean the Toyshop? No, not in months."
Jacqueline asks, "Would you like to join us?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x trough"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X TROUGH
CF |
CF | There's a water trough here. No horse would drink out of this trough,
CF | though — it's neglected and clogged with algae.
CF |
CF | > Lionheart says, "Yeah"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "search it"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > SEARCH IT
CF |
CF | So, it's come to this! You roll up your sleeve and queasily reach your
CF | arm into the filthy water trough. You probe the glop at its bottom,
CF | exploring every nuance of its foulness.
CF |
CF | Your fingers encounter a hard object. Excitedly, you pull it into the
CF | light. It's some kind of tool, but one you've never seen before.
CF |
CF | It's about 10" long, and made of cast iron. It's like a big pair of
CF | pliers with a wire cutter built into it. And instead of the pincer
CF | parts tapering to a point, they flare out into a hammerhead on one
CF | side, and a spike on the other.
CF |
CF | Remembering the corral, you decide it might be for building fences.
CF | Anyway, it might be useful... you should hang onto it.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Oh I am read good."
Jacqueline says, "One sec, I'll bring you a pass."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "get clubfloyd pass 09"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > GET CLUBFLOYD PASS 09
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "oops"
Jacqueline gets ClubFloyd Pass 09.
Jacqueline disappears through an invisible gap in the MUD. You think you may have heard the sounds of chatting before the gap closed again.
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x barrel"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X BARREL
CF |
CF | A small wooden barrel sits outside the bunkhouse. It's about a
CF | foot-and-a-half high and a foot in diameter. The exterior is scarred
CF | from hard use, but it's still intact. Inked onto its side are the
CF | words "PURE LARD."
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x door"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X DOOR
CF |
CF | Although the bunkhouse is decrepit, its door is anything but! It looks
CF | brand new and is made of solid oak.
CF |
CF | Above the knob, you see a plate decorated with a diamond pattern, and
CF | with three keyholes in a vertical line. Each hole has a rim of a
CF | different colored metal around it; from top to bottom, they are
CF | bronze, silver and gold.
CF |
CF | One corner of the plate is etched with a single word: "YALE."
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline has arrived.
Lionheart has arrived. MoyTravis asks, "Yale?"
Lionheart asks, "Oh. Is there a log in here like in Toyshop?" MoyTravis says, "Hello, Lionheart."
DavidW says, "Yale is a type of key."
Jacqueline says (to Lionheart), "Yep! Please chat on channel."
MoyTravis says, "Reaaaaaly."
Roger says, "Yes you can @recap #clubhouse" MoyTravis says, "So't is."
Lionheart says, "No such channel: 'clubhouse'"
Jacqueline says, "It's private, I'm not sure why."
Jacqueline says, "One sec."
Jacqueline says, "I have no idea why it's private."
DavidW says, "My plan is to push/roll this barrel into the barn, stand on it, light that tangle of hay, and burn Whitey out."
MoyTravis says, "Mrmyep. Fire is the solution."
Roger says, "sounds like a good plan"
Knight_Otu asks, "Are we sure we're the good guy?"
Roger says, "I might guess just throwing the lit match, but sure"
Jacqueline says (to KO), "haha. No, I'm no longer sure."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "push barrel north"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > PUSH BARREL NORTH
CF |
CF | The squat barrel cannot be pushed from place to place.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "tip barrel"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > TIP BARREL
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "open barrel"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > OPEN BARREL
CF |
CF | You use the spiked end of the fencing tool to whack open the head of
CF | the barrel. The barrel's a bit too decrepit, though — once you've
CF | knocked off the head, the whole barrel collapses, leaving behind a
CF | greasy mess of barrel staves, hoops and lard.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "It'd be a cool mechanic if your hat got progressively more gray with the more evil stuff you did"
Roger says, "hunh"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x staves"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X STAVES
CF |
CF | The wooden staves are the remnants of the barrel of lard you broke.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x hoops"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X HOOPS
CF |
CF | You can't use multiple objects with that verb.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x hoop"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X HOOP
CF |
CF | Which do you mean, a small hoop or the large hoop?
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | The middle hoop from the barrel is a bit larger than the ones from the
CF | ends — about a foot in diameter.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x small hoop"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X SMALL HOOP
CF |
CF | This is one of the hoops from the ends of the barrel. It's about ten
CF | inches in diameter.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x lard"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S W
CF |
CF | > X LARD
CF |
CF | There's about fifty pounds of semi-solid pig lard in a mound here,
CF | amidst the remains of the barrel you broke.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "My plan to use the barrel has fallen apart."
Jacqueline says (to Roger), "That would be a fun dynamic."
Jacqueline says (to DW), "heh. I see what you did there."
DavidW says, "I assume we try to go west next."
Roger says, "Sure"
Knight_Otu says, "I guess we do."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S SE SW e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | As you enter this area, the first thing you notice is the smell.
CF | Immediately to your south is a large corral, packed with a shifting,
CF | lowing mass of Texas Longhorns.
CF |
CF | A moment later, you hear a shot whistle past your ear. Jerking your
CF | head toward the noise, you see a gaunt, weasel-faced man directly
CF | across the corral pointing a long gun at you over the mass of cattle.
CF | A second shot sends you diving to the ground.
CF |
CF | You recognize the man as Podge, one of the Black Blade's toadies. In
CF | all your prior encounters, you've never once seen him in a straight-up
CF | fight — he prefers a knife in the back or a shot from concealment.
CF | The
CF | hollow of your back prickles as you imagine him aiming at you from
CF | behind.
CF |
CF | You raise up into a crouch, careful to keep your head lower than the
CF | cattle herd, and survey the area.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, uneasily shifting in its tight confines. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. The ashes of a previous fire litter the bottom of the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and against the wooden gate. It holds, though,
CF | and after a minute their panic subsides.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Wow there's a buncha these yahoos hanging around here."
MoyTravis says, "Just sitting around, waiting for their chance to snipe at you."
Knight_Otu says, "Good thing they're not hunting us with teamwork."
Roger says, "lard and ash hey we can make some soap"
Roger says, "just camping out all the good sniping spots... they really are the bad guys"
DavidW says, "I have no idea why we'd want to make soap."
Roger says, "maybe we can get that gate open"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x padlock"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S SE SW e
CF |
CF | > X PADLOCK
CF |
CF | This massive padlock has a brass case and a steel shackle. A keyhole
CF | is centered in one side of the lock, but no key is evident.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "unlock padlock with iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S SE SW e
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK PADLOCK WITH IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | The crossed keys on the end of the branding iron are more
CF | representational than functional.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and against the wooden gate. It holds, though,
CF | and after a minute their panic subsides.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I think SW or SE next."
Knight_Otu says, "Sure."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF | You catch sight of Podge moving in the opposite direction around the
CF | corral, running and staying low.
CF |
CF | South of the Corral
CF | You pause on the south side of the corral. To your north, a wire fence
CF | encloses the large corral, where a herd of Longhorns mills restlessly.
CF | The fence pricks your interest — something about it strikes you as
CF | odd.
CF |
CF | There's a weathered hitching post just south of the corral. A coil of
CF | rope has been hung from it.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the northeast or
CF | northwest.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x fence"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X FENCE
CF |
CF | It's a large corral encircled by a wire fence.
CF |
CF | The fence encircles a large herd of Texas Longhorns. The cattle mill
CF | about uneasily in the unfamiliar environment. Somewhere beyond that
CF | herd, you know, Podge is lying in wait for you.
CF |
CF | Looking closer at the wire, you notice something strange about it. Two
CF | metal wires are twisted together with a peculiar knot every few
CF | inches. At each of these knots, another piece of wire is twisted
CF | through, leaving two sharp spikes protruding.
CF |
CF | You've heard of this. They call it "barbed wire." The spikes keep the
CF | cattle from leaning on the fence and bustin' through. You shake your
CF | head sadly. This land was meant to be open for all. The Devil's Rope
CF | means the end of the open range.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x rope"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X ROPE
CF |
CF | (the coil of rope)
CF | The coil of rope is about fifty feet long, sturdy, and a little stiff.
CF | It's made of braided rawhide. You run a length of the rope through
CF | your hand, then experimentally flex it. Yes, this would be ideal for
CF | trick roping.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take rope"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > TAKE ROPE
CF |
CF | (the coil of rope)
CF | Taken.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x post"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X POST
CF |
CF | There's a weathered hitching post just south of the corral.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x gate"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X GATE
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "...was barbed wire really that novel at whatever time period this is?"
MoyTravis asks, "Also don't we have the weird tool to snip it with?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "i"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a coil of rope
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a branding iron
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x tool"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X TOOL
CF |
CF | You think this thing is a tool for building fences. It's about 10"
CF | long, and made of cast iron. It's like a big pair of pliers with a
CF | wire cutter built into it. And instead of the pincer parts tapering to
CF | a point, they flare out into a hammerhead on one side, and a spike on
CF | the other. It looks pretty useful for cutting and hammering things.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, ""a fencing tool" surely this had a period name?"
DavidW says, "I guess we could cut the fencing with this tool."
Knight_Otu says (to Moy), "If it has, we don't know it."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "cut fence"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > CUT FENCE
CF |
CF | You capture the barbed wire between the blades of the tool, and
CF | squeeze. The wire sproings to either side, forming coils on
CF | the ground.
CF |
CF | You contemplate the broken fence for a moment, pleased with your work.
CF | Then you look at the massive herd of Longhorns, now separated from you
CF | by nothing but air. Then you think about the potshots that Podge has
CF | been taking at you. Then you skedaddle as fast as your legs can carry
CF | you.
CF |
CF | You catch sight of Podge moving in the opposite direction around the
CF | corral, running and staying low.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. The ashes of a previous fire litter the bottom of the brazier.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I'm unsure if cutting the fence was the right thing to do or not."
Knight_Otu says, "I guess if we can spook the cattle somehow..."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "cut fence"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > CUT FENCE
CF |
CF | You're crouched next to the wooden gate. You can find a better place
CF | to cut through the fence.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF | It's really not safe to go to other side of the corral, now that
CF | you've cut the fence. The sound of a shot on this side could cause a
CF | stampede!
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Well, if the game won't let itself become unwinnable...there's no wrong thing, right?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "oh, we need to make a gunshot noise here."
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > OH, WE NEED TO MAKE A GUNSHOT NOISE HERE.
CF |
CF | You seem to want to talk to someone, but I can't see whom.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I mean, oversights can happen."
Knight_Otu says (to David), "Yeah."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "crack whip"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > CRACK WHIP
CF |
CF | You're a man of action when it counts. That's not now.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "whip gate"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > WHIP GATE
CF |
CF | You swing the whip back and snap it forward, sending the whip in the
CF | direction of the wooden gate with a loud crack.
CF |
CF | Some of the nearby cows stir restively, but most of the herd remain
CF | calm. They may be used to the sound of the whip. I'd be careful with
CF | louder noises, though.
CF |
CF | Podge's head pops into view briefly at the crack. He sees you
CF | holding the whip and withdraws it again.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "Yell? Sing?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sing"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Down
CF | by the River Liv'd a Maiden.
CF |
CF | Down by the river there lived a maiden,
CF | In a cottage built just seven by nine,
CF | And all around this lubly bower,
CF | The beauteous sunflower blossoms twine.
CF |
CF | Oh! my Clema, Oh! my Clema,
CF | Oh! my darling Clementine,
CF | Now you are gone and lost forever,
CF | I'm dreadful sorry Clementine.
CF |
CF | From the other side of the corral, Podge joins you in a pleasant
CF | baritone.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Hah."
MoyTravis says, "Nice."
DavidW says, "I'm not sure what to try next except that soap-making idea."
DavidW asks, "Or can we push something else into the barn to stand on?"
Roger says, "that block-and-tackle is crying out for the rope, is my hunch"
DavidW says, "oh, maybe."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You're careful to keep your head down until you're well away from the
CF | corral.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun; the wooden barrel itself,
CF | smashed into a pile of staves; the large hoop from the center of the
CF | barrel and the two small hoops from the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "tie rope to block"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO BLOCK
CF |
CF | Quickly, you thread the end of the rope through the pulleys, leaving
CF | some slack between the two ends.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "not sure what now"
DavidW says, "me neither"
Roger says, "maybe tie one end to the branding iron or something, and the other to Dancer"
DavidW says, "Or tie an end to a hoop and put the hoop over something."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah, I was wondering if we could use the hoops for something, but I doubt they can hold much weight."
DavidW asks, "I guess we should see if Dancer is part of any of this by trying to move her out of her stall?"
Jacqueline says, "Sure."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "ne"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > NE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "open stall"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > OPEN STALL
CF |
CF | You swing the stall gate wide.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TAKE DANCER
CF |
CF | She's not a particularly large horse, but you still won't be carrying
CF | her around.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "ride dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > RIDE DANCER
CF |
CF | Dancer looks like she'd be happy to go riding, but you don't have
CF | anywhere to go just now.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "lead dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > LEAD DANCER
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "pull dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > PULL DANCER
CF |
CF | Dancer prefers to move under her own power, thank you very much.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "give that big booty a slap"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "dancer, follow me"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > DANCER, FOLLOW ME
CF |
CF | You whisper some soft words to Dancer. She gazes back, her eyes
CF | melting with affection.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet, and a rope has been threaded through the
CF | pulleys.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I guess she's our ticket out of the ranch."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "ne"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > NE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "close gate"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > CLOSE GATE
CF |
CF | You swing the stall gate closed again.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "She doesn't want to move."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x wagon"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X WAGON
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet, and a rope has been threaded through the
CF | pulleys.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X WAGON
CF |
CF | The ancient Conestoga wagon sits about forty feet to your west. In the
CF | distance behind it, you can see the ranch's windmill rising high above
CF | the prairie.
CF |
CF | Time has not been kind to the wagon; its canvas cover and left rear
CF | wheel are missing entirely. The wagon sits askew, leaning back on the
CF | axle. The cart's tongue and yoke, large enough to harness two horses,
CF | point up and over your head. At this angle, you can't see into the
CF | cart bed.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "push trough east"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > PUSH TROUGH EAST
CF |
CF | The trough is heavier than it looks — it's not going anywhere.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "stand on trough"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > STAND ON TROUGH
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to stand.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "get on it"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > GET ON IT
CF |
CF | It's not large enough to hold you. Besides, it's full of hay.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "climb overhand"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > CLIMB OVERHAND
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > Roger asks, "are the capitalized exits the one we haven't managed?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "climb overhang"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > CLIMB OVERHANG
CF |
CF | That's well out of your reach.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I think so."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "whip rifle"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > WHIP RIFLE
CF |
CF | You stand just out of sight near the hayloft window and wait for
CF | Whitey to sight his rifle over the ranch again. As his rifle barrel
CF | pokes out of the window, you snap the whip toward it! The tip of the
CF | whip barely wraps the barrel. Whitey spits out a profanity, and you
CF | engage in a brief tug-of-war for the rifle. Ultimately, though, the
CF | whip slips free and Whitey withdraws into the hayloft with his rifle,
CF | still swearing under his breath.
CF |
CF | It seems like you're just not going to be able to get Whitey's rifle
CF | like this!
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "good thinkin though"
Knight_Otu says, "Yeah."
olethros asks, "and doesn't whitey otherwise react to this?"
Knight_Otu says, "I guess he doesn't really."
DavidW says, "Whitey is in a place of safety, I guess. He doesn't want to move."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun; the wooden barrel itself,
CF | smashed into a pile of staves; the large hoop from the center of the
CF | barrel and the two small hoops from the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take lard"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > TAKE LARD
CF |
CF | Confident that you'll find a use for some lard, you pull your bandana
CF | from your neck and use it to scoop a generous lump of lard from the
CF | large mass on the ground.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | As you enter the area around the corral, you drop into a crouch to
CF | stay below the level of the herd.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. The ashes of a previous fire litter the bottom of the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put lard in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT LARD IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | There's not much point in putting that in the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x ashes"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X ASHES
CF |
CF | Curious, you pull a mouldering strip out of the ashes in the brazier.
CF | It's a partially-burned fifty cent Greyback — a bill from the war.
CF | You
CF | can just make out the bust of Jefferson Davis in the center before the
CF | bill crumples to dust in your hands.
CF |
CF | You poke a bit deeper — there must have been thousands of bills here,
CF | in all denominations. Even before the end of the war, this currency
CF | was worth next to nothing. Now, its value is actually nothing. It's no
CF | wonder someone used it for kindling.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "search ashes"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SEARCH ASHES
CF |
CF | You run your hands through the partially-burned Confederate dollars.
CF | You see fragments of faces: Stonewall Jackson, George Washington, John
CF | Calhoun. They fall to pieces at your touch.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You're careful to keep your head down until you're well away from the
CF | corral.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun; the wooden barrel itself,
CF | smashed into a pile of staves; the large hoop from the center of the
CF | barrel and the two small hoops from the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > TAKE LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | You pick up the large hoop.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take stave"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > TAKE STAVE
CF |
CF | Taken.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "wear large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > WEAR LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | You can't wear that!
CF |
CF | > Roger asks, "maybe hit the brazier like a gong?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | As you enter the area around the corral, you drop into a crouch to
CF | stay below the level of the herd.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. The ashes of the Confederacy litter the bottom of the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "hit brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > HIT BRAZIER
CF |
CF | You're a man of action when it counts. That's not now.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "hit hoop"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > HIT HOOP
CF |
CF | You're a man of action when it counts. That's not now.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "hit brazier with hoop"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > HIT BRAZIER WITH HOOP
CF |
CF | The large hoop doesn't make a very good weapon.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put hoop in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT HOOP IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | There's not much point in putting that in the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put iron in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the brazier)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | Taken.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Huh."
Roger says, "the game is just a bit too wide for my modern tastes at this point, I think"
DavidW asks, "So we're to brand something?"
Knight_Otu says, "Sounds like it."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the windmill nearly puts a hole in you.
CF | Whirling around, you see the distant figure of a man poised on the
CF | windmill platform with a rifle to his shoulder. You dive back to
CF | cover.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "maybe. We could try lighting up the brazier in any case, I reckon"
Jacqueline says, "True"
Roger says, "I just like burning things okay"
MoyTravis says, "For what dark purpose? (Arson!?)"
Jacqueline says, "Branding"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT BRAZIER
CF |
CF | You need a source of fire to light the brazier.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "But I don't know what we'd want to brand."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light casket"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT CASKET
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT BRAZIER
CF |
CF | The brazier is not, itself, flammable.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light ashes"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT ASHES
CF |
CF | The ashes are already mostly burned. You can't get them to catch.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "Hay?"
Knight_Otu says, "Maybe."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You're careful to keep your head down until you're well away from the
CF | corral.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun and the two small hoops from
CF | the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > TAKE HAY
CF |
CF | You gather up an armful of hay from the feed trough.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun and the two small hoops from
CF | the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | As you enter the area around the corral, you drop into a crouch to
CF | stay below the level of the herd.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. The ashes of the Confederacy litter the bottom of the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put hay in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT HAY IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | You put the hay into the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light casket"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT CASKET
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light hay"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY
CF |
CF | The dry hay flares up instantly, and is just as quickly consumed.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "oh"
olethros says, "I'll go and read some Bloch and zz"
olethros was told that in order to be published he had to cut his hair and sing in Swedish. DavidW says, "Hay is not the answer here."
Jacqueline says, "Hay is for horses."
Knight_Otu says, "That was gone in a flash."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x podge"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X PODGE
CF |
CF | You saw Podge slip away around the side of the corral a moment ago.
CF | He's probably waiting for you to pop your head up so he can shoot it
CF | off.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "talk to podge"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TALK TO PODGE
CF |
CF | "Podge! I know you're there! Come on out and settle this like a man!"
CF | Only silence answers you.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "i"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a branding iron
CF | some barrel staves
CF | a large hoop
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "The staves?"
DavidW says, "The staves might burn."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "put lard in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT LARD IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | There's not much point in putting that in the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I tried lard earlier."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah, I recall that now."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put stave in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT STAVE IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | You put the barrel staves into the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light staves"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT STAVES
CF |
CF | You need a source of fire to light the barrel staves.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light casket"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT CASKET
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light staves"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT STAVES
CF |
CF | You try to ignite the barrel staves, but you can't get them to catch
CF | without kindling.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "I'll bet Lulabelle would burn if the game let us burn her, which it most likely will not."
Knight_Otu says, "Okay, staves and hay, I guess."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | You're careful to keep your head down until you're well away from the
CF | corral.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun and the two small hoops from
CF | the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear a board shift in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > TAKE HAY
CF |
CF | You gather up an armful of hay from the feed trough.
CF |
CF | You hear Whitey grumbling under his breath.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun and the two small hoops from
CF | the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see a corral filled with cattle. You can return to the barn to
CF | the north.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | As you enter the area around the corral, you drop into a crouch to
CF | stay below the level of the herd.
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. Inside, you see some bits of wood. They'd make a nice hot fire,
CF | but you'd need some kindling and a match!
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put hay in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT HAY IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | You put the hay into the brazier.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light hay"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY
CF |
CF | You need a source of fire to light the hay.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light casket"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT CASKET
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "light hay"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY
CF |
CF | The dry hay flares up instantly. The wood catches, and forms a
CF | slow-burning wood fire. As the flames spread, the remains of the
CF | Confederate dollars wilt and blacken into nothingness.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put iron in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the brazier)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Man, if we hadn't examined Ace's bulge we'd be pretty upset and frustrated right now."
DavidW says, "Thank you, Ace's bulge."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "x iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | It's the branding iron for the Crossed Keys Ranch. Appropriately, the
CF | working end of the iron is two keys that intersect in an X. It's a bit
CF | over two feet long, and made of cast iron. It's currently heating in
CF | the fire.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "I have no idea what we're going to do with a hot branding iron, y'know."
Jacqueline says, "Whaddowedo with it..."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah"
Jacqueline asks, "Do we want to start a stampede?"
Knight_Otu asks, "Brand one of the cattle, causing it to panic, they stampede over podge?"
DavidW says, "I think so, yes. Then search podge and get a key."
Jacqueline says, "Sounds good. Let's do a gray hat thing."
DavidW asks, "Can we touch a cattle from here?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "touch cattle"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TOUCH CATTLE
CF |
CF | You reach through the fence and run your hand through the short, rough
CF | hair of the closest steer. The steer moos with pleasure.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the branding iron begins to glow with a red heat.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I guess we can."
Jacqueline says, "I do not like this."
DavidW says, "I am open to other ideas."
Jacqueline says, "But I think it may be what we're supposed to do."
Jacqueline says, "Branding is just horrible, that's all."
DavidW says, "I'm gonna grab snacks from my room."
Knight_Otu says, "The past is a different country, and it has the best border security."
Roger says, "I've actually have branded cattle"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "z"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > Z
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "z"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > Z
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the glow of the branding iron rises from crimson to a
CF | searing white.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "The iron is ready, I think."
Roger says, "reckon so"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "brand cattle"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > BRAND CATTLE
CF |
CF | You can't brand anything now. You don't even have a branding iron!
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | >
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "brand cattle"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > BRAND CATTLE
CF |
CF | That's impractical. And unnecessary. And cruel.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Thank you game."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "brand padlock"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > BRAND PADLOCK
CF |
CF | You scowl at the padlock in frustration. You're not opening this gate
CF | without the key!
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "the most-famous cowboy to refuse branding his cattle was a guy named Maverick"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put iron in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the brazier)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "But then what do we brand?"
Roger says, "maybe we can melt the lard really fast"
Jacqueline says, "Also, I was curious, so I looked up the history of barbed wire and it was in fact invented right at the end of the Civil War and I would think some people would have found the end of the open range a little sad. (Though free ranging is now again a thing.)"
Jacqueline says, "The first patent for it was 1867."
Jacqueline says, "I mean, the hot brand could just be a weapon against one of the bad guys."
MoyTravis says, "Huh! Well. Fair 'nuff."
Roger says, "yeah. Or we could make some steam in the trough, maybe"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "touch podge"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TOUCH PODGE
CF |
CF | Ewwwww...
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "What do you mean, ew?"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline exclaims, "oh oh oh check this out!"
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "brand podge"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > BRAND PODGE
CF |
CF | Podge won't cooperate.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline:| More patents followed, and in 1867 alone there were six patents issued for barbed wire. Only two of them addressed livestock deterrence, one of which was from American Lucien B. Smith of Ohio. MoyTravis says, "If you're going to fight somebody, would a hot branding iron really be better than not a hot one? You'd have to worry about burning yourself."
DavidW says (to ClubFloyd), "put iron in brazier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the brazier)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline | More patents followed, and in 1867 alone there were six patents issued for barbed wire. Only two of them addressed livestock deterrence, one of which was from American Lucien B. Smith of Ohio.
Jacqueline exclaims, "I know that guy!"
MoyTravis asks, "Wait. What were the non-livestock deterrence ones? Military?"
Jacqueline says, "Among other things, yeah."
Jacqueline says, "Security of property as well."
MoyTravis says, "...like, personally? Gosh. He must have good genes."
Knight_Otu says, "Trespassers too, I'm sure."
Jacqueline says (to Travis), "There's a Lucien Smith on the MUD, but I am not sure if his middle initial is B or if he is, like, 170+ years old."
Roger says, "P, I think"
DavidW says, "yes, P"
Jacqueline says, "Oh, yeah. Guess it's not him."
Jacqueline says, "My bad."
Knight_Otu says, "Or changed their middle name to avoid suspicion."
Jacqueline says, "hee"
Jacqueline says, "B and P do sound a lot a like. Kinda suss."
Jacqueline says, "Anyway, it does seem like we're being clued to make a stampede happen."
Jacqueline says, "We have also been going two hours."
Roger asks, "can we get in via the cut fence?"
DavidW says, "A gunshot here seems like the best option."
DavidW says (to Roger), "no"
DavidW says, "I'm stumped on how to proceed, unless I missed an exit while mapping."
Jacqueline says, "Well, we could think on this, gather next week, and if we're still stumped there are hints."
DavidW says, "okay"
Knight_Otu says, "Sure, sounds like a plan."
MoyTravis says, "All right."
Jacqueline says, "Have a good week everyone. Stay safe."
Knight_Otu says, "We can think about how to best turn Podge to Porridge. (Sorry.)"
DavidW says, "thanks."
Roger says, "via con dios, my darlings"
MoyTravis says, "Cya'll 'round."
*** SESSION 2 ***
MoyTravis says, "hints plz (tho y'all might want to actually solve the thing)"
Jacqueline says, "Let's give it a sec, see if Knight and David arrive."
Jacqueline asks, "Was there anyone else here last week?"
MoyTravis asks, "Don't think so?"
Roger says, "I was, with moderate levels of attention"
Jacqueline nods.
Roger says, "I recall everyone feeling kinda stuck"
Jacqueline says, "Well, yes, but you are already here. I was meaning people who might want to weigh in on whether or not we keep going."
Jacqueline says, "Other people, I mean."
Roger says, "oh oh I see."
Jacqueline says, "All of us collectively."
Jacqueline asks, "I feel like now I'm just making it worse. Anyway! For the three of us who *are* here who were also here last week, what do you all want to do?"
Jacqueline says, "I could go either way - play with a hint (I have had no epiphanies) or try something new."
MoyTravis says, "Is David OK, he's pretty regular. Unless he, like, is sleeping."
Knight_Otu has arrived. Knight_Otu says, "Hey."
Jacqueline says, "Hey, speaking of KO"
MoyTravis says, "Good evening."
Knight_Otu says, "I'm seeing the previous discussion. I'd like us to continue the game, and I think I'm fine with hints if everyone is."
Jacqueline says, "I'm okay with that, sure. Roger and Moy, y'all fine with that? And Krumar, we can bring you up to speed pretty quickly, I think."
Krumar says, "Alright"
MoyTravis says, "Look, just so long as I don't gotta drive I'm fine."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah, I was just realizing that I may have to drive, and I'm not super wild about it, but I will do it if no one else would like to."
Roger says, "I'm good to receive hints, but not provide them"
Jacqueline says (to Roger), "It is always better to receive than to give... (wait, that's not how it goes!)"
Roger says (to floyd), "L"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs, a branding iron protruding from it. Inside, you've kindled some
CF | scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "So, Krumar, we are a cowboy. And apparently a good guy. And we have a guitar named... Lulabelle, I think."
Knight_Otu says, "Or maybe just a "good guy"."
Jacqueline says, "And we had a date or two with a woman, and then she disappeared, and I think we're going to try to rescue her, but our gun is missing and there are a bunch of bad guys who we have tracked to this ranch."
Krumar asks, "do you know who Podge is?"
Jacqueline says, "So, basically, all the cowboy tropes."
Krumar says, "Ok"
Roger says, "Podge is a bad guy with a gun"
Jacqueline says, "Podge is one of the bad guys who has us pinned down."
Roger says (to floyd), "X ME"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X ME
CF |
CF | You're plain old Boots Taylor — ruggedly handsome cowboy hero. You're
CF | wearing your regular duds. A gunbelt hangs at your waist and a
CF | bandolier is draped across your chest. Lulabelle is slung over your
CF | shoulder.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Also our sweetheart may or may not be really in love with us, and possibly be in league with our enemy."
Jacqueline says, "The directions listed in the exits in upper case are directions we have not yet explored"
Krumar says, "Upper and lowercase is really handy."
Roger says, "yeah that's kinda clever"
Roger says (to floyd), "N"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the barn whistles past you. Jerking your
CF | head that way, you see Whitey's ashy face framed by the hayloft
CF | window. You leap back to safety.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Yeah, this has felt well-written but tropey but also I expect a narrative shoe to drop at some point and we will realize that Lulabelle the Guitar is our one and only True Love"
Knight_Otu says, "We know of three enemies in the area, Podge here, Whitey in a hay barn that we are hinted we'll have to burn down, and some person up on... a windwill, I think."
Roger says (to floyd), "S"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Sneaking up on Podge through the cattle seems too dangerous with him
CF | firing off his gun.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "crawl s"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > CRAWL S
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "I"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a large hoop
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Oh right. There are a bunch of cattle, and we cut a hole in the fence and maybe we can do a strategic stampede... maybe."
Knight_Otu says, "As I recall, we sabotaged the fencing on the south end, and probably have to start a stampede to t... right."
Roger says, "yeah, the stampede seems to require a loud noise that we are currently incapable of making"
Roger says (to floyd), "light kerchief"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT KERCHIEF
CF |
CF | You need a source of fire to light the lump of lard wrapped in a red
CF | calico kerchief.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Can we not scare the cattle with our guitar and singin' voice? (Kidding. Probably.)"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "sing loudly"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SING LOUDLY
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to sing.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "sing"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Oh!
CF | Susanna.
CF |
CF | I came from Alabama
CF | wid my banjo on my knee,
CF | I'm g'wan to Louisiana,
CF | My true love for to see,
CF | It raind all night the day I left
CF | The weather it was dry,
CF | The sun so hot I frose to death
CF | Susanna dont you cry.
CF |
CF | From the other side of the corral, Podge joins you in a pleasant
CF | baritone.
CF |
CF | >
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "sing to cattle"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SING TO CATTLE
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to sing.
CF |
CF | >
Knight_Otu says (to ClubFloyd), "yell"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > YELL
CF |
CF | You yell "Yahoo!"
CF |
CF | The cattle nearby stir restively at your outcry. Apparently, they
CF | don't care for loud noises.
CF |
CF | Podge pops his head up like a prairie dog to see what's going on with
CF | you. Looking puzzled, he drops below the level of the steer once more.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "oh"
Roger says, "oh wait we got that whip"
Roger says (to floyd), "crack whip"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > CRACK WHIP
CF |
CF | You're a man of action when it counts. That's not now.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Oh, we do"
Jacqueline says, "Except, NOT NOW, ROGER."
Roger says (to floyd), "whip padlock"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > WHIP PADLOCK
CF |
CF | You scowl at the padlock in frustration. You're not opening this gate
CF | without the key!
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "whip cattle"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > WHIP CATTLE
CF |
CF | Whip these adorable cows? You wouldn't dream of it.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "aw"
Roger says (to floyd), "snap whip"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > SNAP WHIP
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "whip whip"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > WHIP WHIP
CF |
CF | You can't whip something while you're holding it. That's a bad idea in
CF | so many ways.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "ha"
Roger says (to floyd), "put kerchief in fire"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT KERCHIEF IN FIRE
CF |
CF | There's not much point in putting that in the brazier.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light match"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT MATCH
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "I am down for a little sip of a hint"
Roger says (to floyd), "light kerchief with map"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT KERCHIEF WITH MAP
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light kerchief with match"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > LIGHT KERCHIEF WITH MATCH
CF |
CF | The lump of lard melts from the heat, but doesn't catch.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x lard"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X LARD
CF |
CF | You've scooped up a fist-sized lump of lard into your bandana. This
CF | seems like plenty, but there's always more where that came from.
CF |
CF | You wrinkle your nose in disgust at the state of your bandana...
CF | you're going to need a new one.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "hrm sure, hint away"
MoyTravis says, "Should I be the hinter"
Jacqueline asks, "I thought there was a built-in system?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "hint"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | > How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I get to the windmill?
CF | How can I kill Podge?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
CF | What can I do with this rope?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | What can I do with the Conestoga wagon? Jacqueline asks, "The third one?"
Knight_Otu says, "Yeah."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | > How can I get to the windmill?
CF | How can I kill Podge?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
CF | What can I do with this rope?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | What can I do with the Conestoga wagon?
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I get to the windmill?
CF | > How can I kill Podge?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
CF | What can I do with this rope?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | What can I do with the Conestoga wagon? MoyTravis says, "Oh, nifty, y'all can take care of that then."
Jacqueline presses the yellow enter button.
CF ] How can I kill Podge?
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint.
Jacqueline pushes the green 'space' button.
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I get to the windmill?
CF | > How can I kill Podge?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
CF | What can I do with this rope?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | What can I do with the Conestoga wagon? Jacqueline says, "oops, I read the instructions wrong"
Jacqueline presses the yellow enter button.
CF ] How can I kill Podge?
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint.
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | 2/16: Have you noticed how the cattle react to Podge's shooting?
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "Yes. Yes, we have noticed that."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | 2/16: Have you noticed how the cattle react to Podge's shooting?
CF |
CF | 3/16: They try to get away from it.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "Yes, yes, they do."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | 2/16: Have you noticed how the cattle react to Podge's shooting?
CF |
CF | 3/16: They try to get away from it.
CF |
CF | 4/16: If only you had some bullets…
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "Yes, that has been our problem this whole game, game."
Knight_Otu says, "Or a gun..."
Jacqueline says (to KO), "Right."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/16: He always manages to be on the other side of the herd of cattle.
CF |
CF | 2/16: Have you noticed how the cattle react to Podge's shooting?
CF |
CF | 3/16: They try to get away from it.
CF |
CF | 4/16: If only you had some bullets…
CF |
CF | 5/16: And a way to fire them…
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Roger says, "bullets into the brazier"
MoyTravis says, "Do we have bullets though"
Jacqueline says (to Roger), "oh, true"
MoyTravis asks, "it said we didn't have a GUN but we might have ammo?"
Roger says, "I dunno! We've got a bandolier"
Jacqueline says, "I didn't think we had bullets, but I can ... oh right"
MoyTravis asks, "Oh that's...probably bullets?"
Jacqueline presses the yellow enter button.
Jacqueline pushes the green 'space' button.
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I get to the windmill?
CF | > How can I kill Podge?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
CF | What can I do with this rope?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | What can I do with the Conestoga wagon?
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "q"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. A herd of Texas Longhorns packs the
CF | corral, oblivious to the cut fence to their south. Although you cannot
CF | see him, you know that Podge is somewhere beyond the herd, surveying
CF | the area from hiding.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs, a branding iron protruding from it. Inside, you've kindled some
CF | scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "All yours again, Mr. Roger."
Roger says (to floyd), "I"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a large hoop
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Damn, we do have extra bullets, don't we."
Jacqueline says, "Prolly, yeah"
Roger says (to floyd), "X gun belt"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X GUN BELT
CF |
CF | Your gun belt rides low around your hips, but your holster hangs
CF | empty.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x bandolier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > X BANDOLIER
CF |
CF | It's a bandolier filled with extra bullets for your Colt revolver.
CF | You've felt a need for extra ammunition ever since the Black Blade
CF | trouble began.
CF |
CF | Another shot zings over your head, and you jerk your head
CF | involuntarily. You're going to have to deal with Podge sooner or
CF | later.
CF |
CF | The steer in the corral are momentarily spooked by the shot. They
CF | surge away from Podge and the cut fence to their south and against the
CF | wooden gate. It holds, though, and after a minute their panic
CF | subsides.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take bullet from bandolier"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE BULLET FROM BANDOLIER
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take ammop"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE AMMOP
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take ammo"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N S se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE AMMO
CF |
CF | With a practiced motion, you pluck a handful of bullets from the
CF | bandolier. There are plenty more.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "woo"
Roger says (to floyd), "put ammo in brazier"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > PUT AMMO IN BRAZIER
CF |
CF | Staying below the level of the brazier, you toss the handful of
CF | bullets into the fire. Instantly, the paper cartridges detonate,
CF | filling the corral with the sound of gunfire!
CF |
CF | The Longhorns heave away from the explosions! The next few moments are
CF | chaos as cattle surge toward the south end of the corral. The leading
CF | cattle discover the gap you've cut in the fence and gallop through.
CF | More cows follow them, building in momentum, until the entire herd is
CF | racing in that direction. With the thunder of hooves, the exodus turns
CF | into a full stampede, trampling everything in its path! Above the din,
CF | you hear a gruff voice cry out, but it is cut off in mid-bellow. For
CF | long minutes, you hear the roar of the stampede recede. Finally,
CF | silence reigns.
CF |
CF | Cautiously, you raise yourself erect and move around the corral to see
CF | the aftermath.
CF |
CF | South of the Corral
CF | You pause on the south side of the corral. A gap in the fence to your
CF | north leads into the corral. The herd of Longhorns is long gone,
CF | though. The tracks of their stampede are imprinted in the ground, and
CF | its dust still hangs in the air. Podge's broken body lies in the
CF | tracks. His rifle, shattered beyond repair, lies nearby.
CF |
CF | There's a weathered hitching post just south of the corral.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the northeast or
CF | northwest.
CF |
CF | You doff your hat, and silently contemplate Podge's body. He was a bad
CF | hombre, but no one should go like that. After long moments, you put
CF | your hat back on.
CF |
CF | You move your eyes to Podge's shirt pocket. A sheet of blood-stained
CF | paper sticks out of it.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "alright I guess that was a fair puzzle after all"
MoyTravis says, "Hooray! Pity about his rifle."
Roger says (to floyd), "x paper"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X PAPER
CF |
CF | You'll have to pick it up first.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take it"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > TAKE IT
CF |
CF | You gingerly slide the bloody page from Podge's pocket. It's a single
CF | sheet, wrapped around a small object. You unfold it and discover a
CF | key, which you pocket. You turn your attention to the sheet.
CF |
CF | A broad, sprawling hand has written:
CF |
CF | "I'm also sending you a portion of the funds I brought with me, in the
CF | hopes that it will help you. True patriots will still…"
CF |
CF | Blood obliterates everything else.
CF |
CF | You refold the sheet.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "No one should go like that, but we knew we were gonna do him like that."
Knight_Otu says, "Well, now we turned Podge to Porridge."
Roger says, "Podge got hodged"
Roger says (to floyd), "x key"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X KEY
CF |
CF | This is the key you took from Podge. Unlike the keys you're familiar
CF | with, this one has no wards. Instead, the shaft is a cylinder about a
CF | quarter of an inch in diameter. Along the shaft are fluted grooves. At
CF | the other end, the shaft expands into a large oblong handle rather
CF | like the key for winding a clock. Just at the top of the shaft is a
CF | thin ring of silver.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "hmmm; house maybe"
Roger says (to floyd), "X podge"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X PODGE
CF |
CF | Podge was caught in that stampede, and you don't want to look too
CF | close. It's a tragic ending to his worthless life. His rifle is still
CF | in his hands, but its shooting days are over.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "X rifle"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X RIFLE
CF |
CF | This was a Henry before it was trampled by a bunch of cows. Now it's
CF | junk.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take rifle"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > TAKE RIFLE
CF |
CF | The rifle is completely destroyed. There's no point in messin' with
CF | it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take podge"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > TAKE PODGE
CF |
CF | There's no need to move Podge.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "X post"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N ne nw
CF |
CF | > X POST
CF |
CF | There's a weathered hitching post just south of the corral.
CF |
CF | > Roger asks, "shall I mosey along to the North?"
Knight_Otu says, "Sure."
Jacqueline says, "That's what I was thinking, yep"
Roger says (to floyd), "N"
CF ] In the Corral
CF ] Exits: n s
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF |
CF | In the Corral
CF | The inside of the corral is deeply marked by the cattle's hooves.
CF | Motes of dust still linger in the air, thrown up by the force of the
CF | stampede. Generous leavings of manure litter the ground, souvenirs of
CF | the corral's former occupants.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x manure"
CF ] In the Corral
CF ] Exits: n s
CF |
CF | > X MANURE
CF |
CF | Heck, everyone knows what manure looks like. There's no point in
CF | harping on it.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline exclaims, "A souvenir!"
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] In the Corral
CF ] Exits: n s
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | (first opening the wooden gate)
CF | It seems to be locked.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock padlock"
CF ] In the Corral
CF ] Exits: n s
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK PADLOCK
CF |
CF | (with the bloody paper)
CF | You can't unlock the padlock with that!
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock padlock with key"
CF ] In the Corral
CF ] Exits: n s
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK PADLOCK WITH KEY
CF |
CF | Podge's key is entirely the wrong kind of key for this lock.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Very funny, game."
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] South of the Corral
CF ] Exits: n ne nw
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF |
CF | South of the Corral
CF | You pause on the south side of the corral. A gap in the fence to your
CF | north leads into the corral. The herd of Longhorns is long gone,
CF | though. The tracks of their stampede are imprinted in the ground, and
CF | its dust still hangs in the air. Podge's broken body lies in the
CF | tracks. His rifle, shattered beyond repair, lies nearby.
CF |
CF | There's a weathered hitching post just south of the corral.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the northeast or
CF | northwest.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "RIP"
Roger says (to floyd), "ne"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > NE
CF |
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. The Longhorns are long gone, returned
CF | to the open range.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs, a branding iron protruding from it. Inside, you've kindled some
CF | scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "So, we got rid of Podge, but that didn't open up a ton, huh?"
Roger says, "well, a key"
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun and the two small hoops from
CF | the ends of the barrel.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "True"
Roger says (to floyd), "take small hoops"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > TAKE SMALL HOOPS
CF |
CF | small hoop: You pick up one small hoop, leaving the other one on the
CF | ground.
CF | small hoop: You pick up the small hoop.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu asks, "Was going north prevented by the windmill shooter?"
Roger says, "I think so maybe"
Roger says (to floyd), "x door\"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > X DOOR\
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x door"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > X DOOR
CF |
CF | Although the bunkhouse is decrepit, its door is anything but! It looks
CF | brand new and is made of solid oak.
CF |
CF | Above the knob, you see a plate decorated with a diamond pattern, and
CF | with three keyholes in a vertical line. Each hole has a rim of a
CF | different colored metal around it; from top to bottom, they are
CF | bronze, silver and gold.
CF |
CF | One corner of the plate is etched with a single word: "YALE."
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock door with key"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK DOOR WITH KEY
CF |
CF | You can't put things into the door itself. Maybe take a closer look at
CF | it first.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock silver hole with key"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK SILVER HOLE WITH KEY
CF |
CF | Podge's key slides neatly into the keyhole until its silver ring
CF | touches the matching silver rim in the keyhole. You give it a firm
CF | twist and hear a tiny click.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "So, two more keys then?"
Roger says, "reckon so"
Jacqueline says, "Probably on the other homres."
Knight_Otu nods.
MoyTravis says, "So I guess we need to kill the other two guys."
Roger says (to floyd), "l"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "NW"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > NW
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the barn whistles past you. Jerking your
CF | head that way, you see Whitey's ashy face framed by the hayloft
CF | window. You leap back to safety.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "S"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | (first opening the oak door)
CF | You give the door's handle a good pull, but it doesn't move. Maybe you
CF | should take a closer look at the door.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "N"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Wait what was up with the door?"
Roger says, "that's the triple-locked door"
Knight_Otu says, "The three locks."
MoyTravis says, "oh I am read good"
Roger says (to floyd), "x trough"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > X TROUGH
CF |
CF | There's a feed trough full of dry hay here.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light match"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT MATCH
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with match"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH MATCH
CF |
CF | The hay looks like great kindling, but there's no point in setting
CF | fire to the feed trough.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "oh but there is"
MoyTravis exclaims, "Yes there is game!"
Roger says (to floyd), "search hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > SEARCH HAY
CF |
CF | You probe the feed trough thoroughly, but nothing else is hidden in
CF | it.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | > Krumar asks, "may be take hay?"
Roger says (to floyd), "take hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > TAKE HAY
CF |
CF | You gather up an armful of hay from the feed trough.
CF |
CF | You hear Whitey snort wetly and spit.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "enter barn"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > ENTER BARN
CF |
CF | (the feed barn)
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | You hear Whitey snort wetly and spit.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put hay in kerchief"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > PUT HAY IN KERCHIEF
CF |
CF | (the hay in the lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief)
CF | That can't contain things.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet, and a rope has been threaded through the
CF | pulleys.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x rope"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X ROPE
CF |
CF | The coil of rope is about fifty feet long, sturdy, and a little stiff.
CF | It's made of braided rawhide. You run a length of the rope through
CF | your hand, then experimentally flex it. Yes, this would be ideal for
CF | trick roping.
CF |
CF | You've threaded one end of the rope through a block and tackle. The
CF | block and tackle, in turn, is hooked onto a sturdy eyelet by the
CF | stable archway.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "I'm trying to remember if we've even encountered a third bad guy at the ranch yet..."
Roger says, "there's the hayloft guy and the windmill guy left"
MoyTravis asks, "Whitey, Podge, and Windmill Guy?"
Roger says (to floyd), "take rope"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TAKE ROPE
CF |
CF | You quickly detach the coil of rope from the block and tackle.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "The hwindmill shooter, whose identity we don't know yet, yeah-"
Roger says (to floyd), "enter stable"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > ENTER STABLE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Oh. I was conflating windmill guy and hayloft guy, but yeah. Thanks."
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to horse"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO HORSE
CF |
CF | The stall isn't open.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "open stall"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > OPEN STALL
CF |
CF | You swing the stall gate wide.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to horse"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO HORSE
CF |
CF | You don't need a rope for that. If you need to take Dancer out,
CF | there's all kinds of tack on the wall.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > TAKE DANCER
CF |
CF | She's not a particularly large horse, but you still won't be carrying
CF | her around.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "mount dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > MOUNT DANCER
CF |
CF | Dancer looks like she'd be happy to go riding, but you don't have
CF | anywhere to go just now.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "l"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x tack"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X TACK
CF |
CF | Well, let's see... there's everything you'd need for riding: saddle,
CF | harness, reins and so forth. You don't need any of this stuff right
CF | now, though.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x grooming gear"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > X GROOMING GEAR
CF |
CF | The usual tools for horse care hang on the wall: brushes, combs, hoof
CF | pick and the like. You don't need any of this stuff right now, though.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "slap dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > SLAP DANCER
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "hrm"
Roger says (to floyd), "out"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > OUT
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | It's too dangerous with that sniper up there!
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X WAGON
CF |
CF | The ancient Conestoga wagon sits about forty feet to your west. In the
CF | distance behind it, you can see the ranch's windmill rising high above
CF | the prairie.
CF |
CF | Time has not been kind to the wagon; its canvas cover and left rear
CF | wheel are missing entirely. The wagon sits askew, leaning back on the
CF | axle. The cart's tongue and yoke, large enough to harness two horses,
CF | point up and over your head. At this angle, you can't see into the
CF | cart bed.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso whitey"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LASSO WHITEY
CF |
CF | You consider yourself something of an expert with a lasso. It's too
CF | bad you don't have one now.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "make lasso from rope"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > MAKE LASSO FROM ROPE
CF |
CF | You quickly tie one end around the other into a honda. You coil the
CF | remainder, and stick the whole thing on your belt. You've fashioned a
CF | workable lariat.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "yesssss"
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso whitey"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LASSO WHITEY
CF |
CF | Whitey would shoot you dead long before you could lasso him.
CF |
CF | You hear the rustle of hay from above.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso rifle"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LASSO RIFLE
CF |
CF | Standing near the end of the overhang, you spin up a loop in your
CF | lasso. The next time you see Whitey's rifle protrude from the hayloft
CF | window, you send the loop sailing toward it. Whitey jerks back,
CF | surprised, taking his rifle with him. A moment later, you see his pale
CF | face peering straight down at you, looking oddly affronted at your
CF | trick. Then he shakes his head sadly, and withdraws back into the
CF | hayloft.
CF |
CF | You hear a board shift in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "aw"
Knight_Otu says, "Darn."
Jacqueline says, "That was exciting, though"
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "stable"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > STABLE
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "enter stable"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > ENTER STABLE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > LASSO DANCER
CF |
CF | You don't need a lasso for that. If you need to take Dancer out,
CF | there's all kinds of tack on the wall.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "out"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > OUT
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | Off to your west, in the long stretch of open ground between you and
CF | the windmill, an ancient Conestoga wagon sits disintegrating in the
CF | sun.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > LASSO WAGON
CF |
CF | You twirl your lasso into an overhead loop and take the measure of the
CF | Conestoga wagon. You play a bit of extra rope into the loop to open up
CF | the circle, then throw.
CF |
CF | The loop settles neatly over the upturned tongue of the cart and
CF | slides past the yoke. You give a firm pull to close the loop. You've
CF | caught yourself a wagon!
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "So, maybe we really don't need dancer?"
Knight_Otu says, "Maybe we can slingshot the lard at the guy."
Roger says (to floyd), "put rope in pulley"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUT ROPE IN PULLEY
CF |
CF | Quickly, you thread the unlooped end of the lasso through the pulleys,
CF | leaving some slack between the two ends.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "pull rope"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PULL ROPE
CF |
CF | You grip the free end of the lasso and heave on the lasso.
CF | Your force is multiplied by the block and tackle. At the other end of
CF | the rope, the disabled Conestoga wagon groans, then shivers, and
CF | finally begins creeping across the dirt toward the stable. Soon
CF | enough, you run out of slack, but you have the measure of the task
CF | now. You reset the block and tackle and repeat until finally the cart
CF | stands next to you! It should be safely out of range of the gunman on
CF | the windmill now. You retrieve your lasso before seeing what you've
CF | caught.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Hey hey."
Roger says, "I thought we would need to press Dancer into pulling service, but I guess not"
MoyTravis says, "Nice."
Knight_Otu says, "Nice catch."
Jacqueline says, "nice"
Roger says (to floyd), "L"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | An ancient Conestoga wagon sits nearby. Its canvas cover is missing,
CF | but the cart's tongue and yoke for two horses are still attached. The
CF | left rear axle is missing its wheel, and the cart leans back on that
CF | corner. In the bed of the cart you see a cartwheel and a broken board.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "X cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | It's a large wooden wheel with an iron rim. It's about five feet in
CF | diameter, and permanently mounted on a one foot hub. A hole in the
CF | center of the hub allows it to be mounted on the axle. Normally, the
CF | hub would be bolted to the axle, but the iron band which holds it on
CF | is missing, and the hub itself has a crack through it. The wheel won't
CF | stay on without it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | The middle hoop from the barrel is a bit larger than the ones from the
CF | ends — about a foot in diameter.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put large hoop on cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUT LARGE HOOP ON CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | You should really mount the cartwheel before repairing it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "mount cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > MOUNT CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | That's not something you can enter.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "game...."
MoyTravis asks, "Like, jack it up?"
Krumar asks, "would the small hoopes from the barrel help?"
Roger says, "we'll see if it requires that much"
Roger says (to floyd), "take cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TAKE CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | The cartwheel is about five feet in diameter. You're not taking it
CF | anywhere unless you absolutely have to.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Err. Wait. What does mounting a cartwheel mean in this context?"
Roger says (to floyd), "push cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUSH CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | You try pushing, pulling and turning the cartwheel, with no particular
CF | result.
CF |
CF | > Roger | You should really mount the cartwheel before repairing it.
Roger says, "putting it back on the axle, presumably"
Knight_Otu says, "I'd have to guess either putting it... right."
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to carthweel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO CARTHWEEL
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | Tying the lasso to the cartwheel won't help you any.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lasso cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > LASSO CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | You consider lassoing the cartwheel, but you can't see how that would
CF | help.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Right, but like...ooh, here I was thinking "you should mount the cartwheel" as like...we should mount it, like you'd mount a horse."
MoyTravis says, "...gosh I am not good at reading this morning."
Roger says (to floyd), "enter wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > ENTER WAGON
CF |
CF | You step up into the wagon and look around. Seeing no special
CF | advantage here, you step down again.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "It happens."
Roger says (to floyd), "x board"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X BOARD
CF |
CF | It's a thin wood slat, about eight inches long and four high, jagged
CF | at both ends. It looks like it's been broken out of something larger
CF | with blunt force. Some writing is stenciled on it: "BEL'S." The word
CF | means nothing to you.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "hunh."
Roger says (to floyd), "take board"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TAKE BOARD
CF |
CF | Taken.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X WAGON
CF |
CF | You've dragged the Conestoga wagon so that it sits near the stable. Up
CF | close the wagon looks a bit better. It's seen plenty of hard use, but
CF | the only thing stopping it from rolling is the left rear wheel, which
CF | is sitting in the bed of the cart, rather than on the axle.
CF |
CF | In the Conestoga wagon is a cartwheel.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Bel's and Whistl's."
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to axle"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO AXLE
CF |
CF | Tying the lasso to the axle won't help you any.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "tie rope to wagon"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > TIE ROPE TO WAGON
CF |
CF | Tying the lasso to the Conestoga wagon won't help you any.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "repair wheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > REPAIR WHEEL
CF |
CF | (the cartwheel)
CF | How would you like to go about fixing the cartwheel?
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "repair wheel with hoop"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > REPAIR WHEEL WITH HOOP
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "repair wheel with large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > REPAIR WHEEL WITH LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "repair cartwheel with large hoop"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > REPAIR CARTWHEEL WITH LARGE HOOP
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to repair the cartwheel.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Mount wheel on...cart?"
Roger says (to floyd), "mount carthweel on axle"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > MOUNT CARTHWEEL ON AXLE
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "mount cartwheel on axle"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > MOUNT CARTWHEEL ON AXLE
CF |
CF | You hop up into the cart bed and grab the cartwheel with both hands.
CF | Carefully, you lower it so that it leans upright next to the empty
CF | axle. You hop back out and lift the main bed of the cart up.
CF | Awkwardly, you manage to maneuver the wheel so that the hole fits over
CF | the axle. When you release the cart, it stands shakily on all four
CF | wheels.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "aha! Nice"
Jacqueline says, "woo"
MoyTravis says, "Oh, nice. Ok why tho."
Roger says, "game probably should have been a bit nicer about that, I think"
MoyTravis says, "I mean puzzle logic sure."
Roger says (to floyd), "put large hoop on cartwheel"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUT LARGE HOOP ON CARTWHEEL
CF |
CF | The large barrel hoop is almost the perfect size to secure the wheel
CF | hub! You jam it onto the hub, forcing the cracked portion together. It
CF | sticks out crookedly, half on and half off. This would fall apart if
CF | you moved the cart. You'll need to find a way to get it all the way
CF | on.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Now we add the hoop?"
Knight_Otu says, "It should have, but sometimes things are easy to miss."
MoyTravis says, "Do we have a hammer or...something."
Roger says, "yeah looks like something in need of a hammering"
Roger says (to floyd), "I"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a broken board
CF | a lasso
CF | some hay
CF | two small hoops
CF | a bloody paper
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Don't we have some sort of...fence...thing?"
Jacqueline says, "That broken rifle would be maybe good but I doubt we can take it."
Roger says (to floyd), "repair cartwheel with fencing tool"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > REPAIR CARTWHEEL WITH FENCING TOOL
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to repair the cartwheel.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "hit large hoop with fencing tool"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > HIT LARGE HOOP WITH FENCING TOOL
CF |
CF | You gently tap around the rim of the barrel hoop using the hammer head
CF | of the fencing tool, easing the hoop onto the wheel hub. In a few
CF | moments, you've got it firmly in place. You wouldn't want to take the
CF | wagon to the Territories this way, but it should hold for a bit.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "What actually IS the fence thing anyways?"
MoyTravis says, "oh, well, ok"
Jacqueline says, "oho"
Roger says (to floyd), "x fencing tool"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > X FENCING TOOL
CF |
CF | You think this thing is a tool for building fences. It's about 10"
CF | long, and made of cast iron. It's like a big pair of pliers with a
CF | wire cutter built into it. And instead of the pincer parts tapering to
CF | a point, they flare out into a hammerhead on one side, and a spike on
CF | the other. It looks pretty useful for cutting and hammering things.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, ""Try out vaguely plausible X on Y" is always the most lol method of puzzles."
Knight_Otu says, "I am having trouble visualizing it."
MoyTravis asks, "Yeah IDK?"
MoyTravis says, "Look, my logic was "what would the puzzle designer give you" not "what makes sense""
Roger | [LINK]
MoyTravis asks, "anyways let's go burn a man to death now! or something? What are we using this wagon for anyways?"
Roger says, "cover, I think"
Roger says, "might be Dancer's time to shine, finally"
MoyTravis asks, "...uuuuuuuuuuuh, like, hold undo the...underside of it?"
MoyTravis asks, "Or just like, concealment? Aren't wagontops canvas?"
Roger says (to floyd), "enter stable"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > ENTER STABLE
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Stable
CF | You've entered a high-ceilinged stable. The light from the archway to
CF | your southwest gives enough light to see a single stall, but leaves
CF | the corners and high rafters in shadow.
CF |
CF | A sorrel quarter horse mare occupies the stall, sticking her head over
CF | the half-height gate. She's dancing lightly and giving you doe eyes
CF | and whickering softly.
CF |
CF | The opposite wall has the usual variety of riding tack and grooming
CF | gear.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "lead dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > LEAD DANCER
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "Dancer, follow me"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > DANCER, FOLLOW ME
CF |
CF | You whisper some soft words to Dancer. She gazes back, her eyes
CF | melting with affection.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline asks, "Nothing inside the wagon, right?"
Roger says, "we've looted it"
Jacqueline asks, "Or we already got stuff out of it?"
Jacqueline says, "Timing. Got it."
Roger says (to floyd), "ride dancer"
CF ] Inside the Stable
CF ] Exits: sw
CF |
CF | > RIDE DANCER
CF |
CF | Dancer looks like she'd be happy to go riding, but you don't have
CF | anywhere to go just now.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "A board with a stencil on it, I think."
Roger says (to floyd), "out"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > OUT
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | An ancient Conestoga wagon sits nearby. Its canvas cover is missing,
CF | but the cart's tongue and yoke for two horses are still attached.
CF | You've repaired the missing cartwheel, and the cart looks — barely
CF | —
CF | fit for service. The bed of the cart is empty.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "...yoke Dancer to wagon?"
Roger says, "I'm not sure how to get them in the same place"
MoyTravis asks, "...see if it works from inside?"
Knight_Otu says, "I don't think it's Dancer's time yet."
Roger says (to floyd), "push wagon ne"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUSH WAGON NE
CF |
CF | You might be able to push the wagon northeast, but that's not where
CF | you need it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the windmill nearly puts a hole in you.
CF | Whirling around, you see the distant figure of a man poised on the
CF | windmill platform with a rifle to his shoulder. You dive back to
CF | cover.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | It's too dangerous with that sniper up there!
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "??? Do we...literally just push the wagon?"
Roger says (to floyd), "push wagon sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW W
CF |
CF | > PUSH WAGON SW
CF |
CF | You might be able to push the wagon southwest, but that's not where
CF | you need it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "push wagon w"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > PUSH WAGON W
CF |
CF | O.K. — Let's see how this works!
CF |
CF | You brace your back against the repaired wagon and give it a powerful
CF | shove. The wagon grinds into motion, west into the open expanse that
CF | leads to the windmill.
CF |
CF | Now that it's in motion, the wagon moves more easily. Crouching behind
CF | the wagon, and pushing as you go, you slowly guide it west.
CF |
CF | After a moment, presumably filled with slack-jawed astonishment,
CF | bullets begin to thud into the wagon, but it's a sturdy wooden
CF | construction and none of them get through.
CF |
CF | A few tension-filled minutes later, you reach the vicinity of the
CF | windmill. From here, you can see a maintenance platform at the level
CF | of the blades overhead. You're invisible to the sniper there.
CF |
CF | You call out, "You! In the windmill! All I want is Rosa! Throw your
CF | gun down, and we'll call it a truce."
CF |
CF | Silence rules for several seconds. Then — "Boots? Is that you?"
CF |
CF | "Don Felipe?"
CF |
CF | The man on the tower is Felipe, Rosa's accompanist! What is he doing
CF | here?
CF |
CF | In the time since he and Rosa came to town, you've come to know them
CF | both. As two musicians, you've spent a few evenings playing together,
CF | and Felipe has begun to teach you to play his vihuela, a big-bellied
CF | Mexican guitar with high, sweet tones.
CF |
CF | You'd thought he was a good guy, and he seems to worship Rosa. You
CF | can't believe he'd betray her.
CF |
CF | Felipe's voice drifts down from above.
CF |
CF | "You should go now, amigo. If you don't, I have to kill you."
CF |
CF | That's it, then. You don't know how or why Felipe was drawn into this,
CF | but Rosa is more important.
CF |
CF | Under the Windmill
CF | The northwest corner of the ranch is dominated by the windmill which
CF | towers overhead. It's clearly for drawing up underground water. A pipe
CF | leads into a metal cistern next to the windmill.
CF |
CF | At the top of the windmill, there's a large rotor to catch the wind
CF | and a tail that sticks out perpendicularly to direct the blades into
CF | the wind. Although there's a stiff breeze, the rotor is motionless;
CF | some sort of locking mechanism is preventing the pump rod from moving.
CF |
CF | Felipe is at the top of the windmill, perched on the platform there.
CF | Although he is mostly hidden, you sometimes see him peek over the side
CF | and try to sight his rifle on you.
CF |
CF | To your east, across a long open stretch, you can see the stable. The
CF | ranch house is to your southeast.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Maybe."
MoyTravis says, "blargh"
MoyTravis asks, "apparently!?"
MoyTravis says, "Well hooray us, I guess."
Roger says (to floyd), "sing"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > SING
CF |
CF | Tenderly strumming Lulabelle's strings, you sing a verse of Oh!
CF | Susanna.
CF |
CF | I came from Alabama
CF | wid my banjo on my knee,
CF | I'm g'wan to Louisiana,
CF | My true love for to see,
CF | It raind all night the day I left
CF | The weather it was dry,
CF | The sun so hot I frose to death
CF | Susanna dont you cry.
CF |
CF | Perched high in the windmill, Don Felipe titters in a high voice.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "Ah, yes, Rosa's companion. I had suspected him to be the masked leader, but apparently not."
Roger says, "what no accompaniment"
Roger says (to floyd), "x locking mechanism"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X LOCKING MECHANISM
CF |
CF | The locking mechanism sits next to the base of the windmill, a bolt
CF | protruding from its side and into a corresponding slot in the
CF | windmill's pump rod. The mechanism's only other feature is a rusty
CF | X-shaped hole on the side. It's a couple of inches across.
CF |
CF | You guess that the hole is used to withdraw the bolt. It's probably
CF | not designed for security, but simply to stop the windmill from
CF | operating when the cistern is full. Nevertheless, you don't have the
CF | tool used to operate the mechanism.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "So we need to...unlock the windmill?"
Knight_Otu asks, "The brand?"
Roger says, "seems like we should try. Yeah that might be the right shape -- good thinking"
Roger says (to floyd), "x brand"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X BRAND
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x iron"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X IRON
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "d'oh"
Roger says (to floyd), "i"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a broken board
CF | a lasso
CF | some hay
CF | two small hoops
CF | a bloody paper
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "I think we left it in the fire."
MoyTravis says, "lol did we leave it somewhere"
Krumar says, "ma ybe the fensing tool can do it."
MoyTravis says, "RIP. I guess we gotta pull the wagon behind us or something."
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | Don Felipe's still up there sniping at you! If you want to go back to
CF | the stable, you're going to need to bring the cart with you.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "push cart se"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > PUSH CART SE
CF |
CF | You might be able to push the wagon southeast, but that's not where
CF | you need it.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "push cart e"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW w
CF |
CF | > PUSH CART E
CF |
CF | You awkwardly repeat your journey back to the shadow of the stable,
CF | this time dragging the old wagon behind you. Don Felipe fires a few
CF | more bullets into the thick wood of the wagon, but you both know
CF | you're safe as long as you stay behind it.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "sw"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW w
CF |
CF | > SW
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the barn whistles past you. Jerking your
CF | head that way, you see Whitey's ashy face framed by the hayloft
CF | window. You leap back to safety.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "W"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. The Longhorns are long gone, returned
CF | to the open range.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs, a branding iron protruding from it. Inside, you've kindled some
CF | scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Can we burn the hay with this"
MoyTravis says, "just...wondering if it's a dumb puzzle thing"
Roger says, "we used the hay to kindle up this fire, as you may recall"
MoyTravis says, "yeah"
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with brand"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH BRAND
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N Knight_Otu says, "I'd have said the lighter would be a more logical source."
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put brand in trough"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > PUT BRAND IN TROUGH
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in trough"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN TROUGH
CF |
CF | There's no point in putting things in the feed trough.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in hay"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN HAY
CF |
CF | (the hay)
CF | That can't contain things.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with iron"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH IRON
CF |
CF | (the hay with the branding iron)
CF | The hay looks like great kindling, but there's no point in setting
CF | fire to it here.
CF |
CF | The glowing tip of the branding iron fades from white to ruby.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "RIP"
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n.n."
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW w
CF |
CF | > N.N.
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | An ancient Conestoga wagon sits nearby. Its canvas cover is missing,
CF | but the cart's tongue and yoke for two horses are still attached.
CF | You've repaired the missing cartwheel, and the cart looks — barely
CF | —
CF | fit for service. The bed of the cart is empty.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "push wagon w"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > PUSH WAGON W
CF |
CF | You repeat your journey back to the blind spot beneath the windmill,
CF | pushing the old wagon before you. Don Felipe fires a few more bullets
CF | into the thick wood of the wagon, but you both know you're safe as
CF | long as you stay behind it.
CF |
CF | Under the Windmill
CF | The northwest corner of the ranch is dominated by the windmill which
CF | towers overhead. It's clearly for drawing up underground water. A pipe
CF | leads into a metal cistern next to the windmill.
CF |
CF | At the top of the windmill, there's a large rotor to catch the wind
CF | and a tail that sticks out perpendicularly to direct the blades into
CF | the wind. Although there's a stiff breeze, the rotor is motionless;
CF | some sort of locking mechanism is preventing the pump rod from moving.
CF |
CF | Felipe is at the top of the windmill, perched on the platform there.
CF | Although he is mostly hidden, you sometimes see him peek over the side
CF | and try to sight his rifle on you.
CF |
CF | To your east, across a long open stretch, you can see the stable. The
CF | ranch house is to your southeast.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock lock with iron"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK LOCK WITH IRON
CF |
CF | Struck by inspiration, you hold the branding iron next to the x-shaped
CF | hole in the mechanism. Yes, the crossed keys of the working end are
CF | the same size and shape as the hole!
CF |
CF | You insert the tip of the iron into the hole and wiggle it until it
CF | slips into place. You strain against the rusty mechanism, but all your
CF | strength can't budge it. Panting, you pull the iron back out of the
CF | hole and peer into the mechanism. Water and disuse have not been kind
CF | to it — it's locked tight with rust.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "These people who have guns are are clearly willing to use lethal force are shockingly lax about actually hunting you down and shooting you."
Roger says, "grease me up, woman"
Roger says (to floyd), "put lard on lock"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > PUT LARD ON LOCK
CF |
CF | Seeing the rust in the disused mechanism, you pull out the lump of
CF | lard in your bandana and smear a big glob of it into the hole.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says (to Moy), "Yeah."
Roger says (to floyd), "unlock lock with iron"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > UNLOCK LOCK WITH IRON
CF |
CF | You insert the tip of the iron into the hole and wiggle it until it
CF | slips into place. Straining against the rusty mechanism, you manage to
CF | rotate the branding iron a quarter turn. The bolt withdraws from the
CF | slot in the pump rod. Above you, you hear a mechanical groan as the
CF | blades turn to face the wind and begin rotating.
CF |
CF | There's an exclamation of dismay, then a long wail as Felipe plummets
CF | from the platform and thuds into the ground a few feet away.
CF |
CF | His face turns toward you, and his lips work for a moment. Then the
CF | life leaves his body.
CF |
CF | With your eyes stinging, you kneel by his body and touch his hand.
CF | "I'm sorry, friend," you say. "I wish I could have saved you both."
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Like, he just hangs around while you make two round trips behind your wagon while obviously concocting a plan to murder him."
MoyTravis says, "lol, and then he dies"
Roger says, "They're not criminal masterminds"
MoyTravis says, "I'd say F but really he was very silly about the whole thing."
MoyTravis asks, "Anyways let's loot his body and get his gun?"
Roger says (to floyd), "search bodty"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > SEARCH BODTY
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "search body"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > SEARCH BODY
CF |
CF | You don't like to mess with Felipe's body, but you have to know. You
CF | check through his pockets, averting your eyes from his face. In one,
CF | you find a tattered paper; in another, a key. You take them both.
CF |
CF | The paper is much-folded and falling apart at the seams. You run your
CF | eyes down it.
CF |
CF | The tattered paper turns out to be the last page of a letter. It
CF | begins mid-sentence:
CF |
CF | "…railroads will inhibit the movement of troops within the Republic.
CF | The trestle is the most urgent target, but any damage that slows or
CF | reverses progress on the railroad serves us well.
CF |
CF | "We have great need of gold and silver. Intercepting the tax will
CF | serve a dual purpose of impeding the invading forces while supplying
CF | our own cause with hard funds for the fight.
CF |
CF | "In addition, any other activities that generate funds are hereby
CF | approved.
CF |
CF | 'Fellow patriots'
CF |
CF | "I know that the Republic that produced the Battle of Palmito and the
CF | Second Battle of Sabine Pass will not fail in our hour of need. Stay
CF | true, and we shall yet redeem our cause.
CF |
CF | "P. M."
CF |
CF | These sound like plans for a war!
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Cool but what happened to his rifle?"
Roger says, "might still be up there"
Roger says (to floyd), "x key"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X KEY
CF |
CF | This is the key you took from Felipe. Like Podge's key, it has no
CF | wards. Instead, the shaft is a cylinder about a quarter of an inch in
CF | diameter. Along the shaft are fluted grooves. At the other end, the
CF | shaft expands into a large oblong handle rather like the key for
CF | winding a clock. Just at the top of the shaft is a thin ring of gold.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "u"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > U
CF |
CF | You peer up at the windmill. The bottom ladder segment is missing, and
CF | you couldn't possibly get to the next.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "The game probably will just never give you a gun."
MoyTravis says, "oh weeeellll."
Roger says (to clubflo), "x pipe"
Roger says (to floyd), "x pipe"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X PIPE
CF |
CF | A pipe leads out of the pumping apparatus and into the metal cistern.
CF | You hear water plashing inside the tank as the windmill's pump rod
CF | moves up and down.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x cistern"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > X CISTERN
CF |
CF | The cistern is large circular tank of galvanized metal, about four
CF | feet tall and eight in diameter. It stores the water brought up from
CF | underground by the windmill. A section of the top flips open for
CF | access. You can hear water running inside each time the pump rod
CF | rises.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "look in cistern"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > LOOK IN CISTERN
CF |
CF | You flip open the lid of the cistern and take a look inside. There are
CF | a few inches of water inside. Each time the pump rod rises, a stream
CF | of water shoots from the discharge pipe, slowly adding to the supply.
CF | There's nothing of help to you, though. You close the cistern again.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "l"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > L
CF |
CF | Under the Windmill
CF | The northwest corner of the ranch is dominated by the windmill which
CF | towers overhead. It's clearly for drawing up underground water. A pipe
CF | leads into a metal cistern next to the windmill.
CF |
CF | At the top of the windmill, the rotor is turning briskly with the wind
CF | and the entire mechanism occasionally rotates as the tail aligns it
CF | with the wind direction. The pump rod churns up and down next to you,
CF | and you hear water streaming into the cistern nearby.
CF |
CF | The battered body of Don Felipe lies at the base of the windmill.
CF |
CF | The Conestoga wagon you repaired sits nearby. The bed of the cart is
CF | empty.
CF |
CF | To your east, across a long open stretch, you can see the stable. The
CF | ranch house is to your southeast.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "Ok I vote we hint this last guy."
Roger says, "hrm let me flail around a bit first, but soon"
Roger says (to floyd), "se"
CF ] Under the Windmill
CF ] Exits: SE e
CF |
CF | > SE
CF |
CF | You start the long journey across the cleared area to the ranch house.
CF | A shot from the direction of the barn whistles past you. Jerking your
CF | head that way, you see Whitey's ashy face framed by the hayloft
CF | window. You leap back to safety.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | With Don Felipe no longer among the living, you can walk safely back
CF | to the stable without the cart's protection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Stable
CF | You're standing at the northeast corner of the Crossed Keys Ranch.
CF | There's a stable through the horse-sized archway to your northeast,
CF | judging by the smell. To your southwest is the center of the ranch,
CF | the main house. A long stretch of open ground to the west leads to a
CF | windmill. Closer to hand, just to your south, is a barn with a
CF | projecting hayloft. The overlook is back to your north, but you're
CF | determined to confront the Black Blade before you return that way.
CF |
CF | A sturdy iron eyelet, perhaps intended for suspending a lantern, is
CF | mounted alongside the archway. One end of the block and tackle is
CF | hooked into the eyelet.
CF |
CF | Soft nickering comes from inside the stable.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Stable
CF ] Exits: n ne s SW w
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | You look longingly at the trail back to town, but you need to rescue
CF | Rosa first.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
MoyTravis I bet it'll be something, like, "you stuff the straw somewhere THEN set it on fire" Krumar says, "I thought you lassod his gun already"
Jacqueline says, "Tried."
Roger says, "I did, but it didn't work"
Jacqueline says, "He thwarted us."
Knight_Otu says, "He was wise to our tricks."
Krumar asks, "could you stuff the hay in that sliver you saw eailer and light it?"
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | The last traces of the red glow fade from the tip of the branding
CF | iron.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. The Longhorns are long gone, returned
CF | to the open range.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. Inside, you've kindled some scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in fire"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN FIRE
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the wood fire)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the branding iron begins to glow with a red heat.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "z.z.z."
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > Z.Z.Z.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the glow of the branding iron rises from crimson to a
CF | searing white.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear footsteps as Whitey changes position.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "enter barn"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > ENTER BARN
CF |
CF | (the feed barn)
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "throw iron through trapdoor"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > THROW IRON THROUGH TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to throw the branding iron.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "throw iron"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > THROW IRON
CF |
CF | Dropped.
CF |
CF | You hear Whitey snort wetly and spit.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "iron"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > IRON
CF |
CF | That's not a verb I recognize.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take iron"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | The glowing tip of the branding iron fades from white to ruby.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "throw iron at trapdoor"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > THROW IRON AT TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | You try to toss the branding iron into the hayloft opening, but you
CF | can't get a good angle without exposing yourself to Whitey's fire.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "alright, to hints we go"
MoyTravis asks, "Pile straw under the trapdoor?"
Roger says, "oh hmm"
Krumar says, "What if you put the hankerchief with lard on the hot end of the brand"
Jacqueline asks (of Roger), "Want me to do the hint menu again, or would you like to?"
Roger says (to floyd), "i"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a branding iron
CF | Felipe's key
CF | a tattered paper
CF | a broken board
CF | a lasso
CF | some hay
CF | two small hoops
CF | a bloody paper
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | You hear Whitey snort wetly and spit.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Which...you can...burn? To create...smoke? Which gives you...cover to throw it in or something?"
DavidW has arrived.
Roger says (to floyd), "drop hay"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > DROP HAY
CF |
CF | (the hay)
CF | Dropped.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "Sorry I'm late. Overslept."
MoyTravis says, "Oh, hello, David."
Roger says (to floyd), "light match"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT MATCH
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with match"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH MATCH
CF |
CF | (the hay with the gold casket)
CF | The hay looks like great kindling, but there's no point in setting
CF | fire to it here.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu exclaims, "Hey David!"
Jacqueline says, "I am anti-violence but if Whitey keeps snorting wetly, he needs to go down."
DavidW says, "oh, this game."
Jacqueline says (to DW), "Yay. Hello."
MoyTravis says, "This game is just incredibly anti-setting-fire-to-things."
Jacqueline says (to DW), "hahaha. Yes. This game."
Roger says, "hi DavidW -- yep, stil lthis."
DavidW says, "hi all"
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in kerchief"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN KERCHIEF
CF |
CF | That can't contain things.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to put), "iron in lard"
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in lard"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN LARD
CF |
CF | That can't contain things.
CF |
CF | You hear the rasp of Whitey's breathing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put lard on board"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > PUT LARD ON BOARD
CF |
CF | There's no point in smearing the lard on the broken board.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "What progress have we made since I was last here?"
MoyTravis says, "I'm gonna be super duper mad if the answer is "set fire to things, but in this weirdly specific way""
Roger says (to floyd), "light board"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT BOARD
CF |
CF | The board looks like it would burn, but there's no point in setting it
CF | on fire here.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | > Roger says, "okay, hints for real now please"
MoyTravis says, "We killed two more of the bandits."
Knight_Otu says, "We killed Podge and the windmill sniper."
MoyTravis says, "And took their keys."
Jacqueline says, "We killed Pdge and the guy in the wind--yeah"
Roger says, "Jacq if you want to drive the hints again"
Jacqueline says, "And yeah, there is a lock with three keys, of which we have aquired two."
Krumar says, "the guy in the windmill was your friend."
Jacqueline says, "Yeah. But we didn't let that get in the way."
DavidW says, "gosh. Sorry I missed all that."
Jacqueline says, "We keep pretending to be pretty choked up about killing people, but yet we keep killin'"
Jacqueline says, "All for a girl... but also we are learning there may be some sort of a political thing happening."
Knight_Otu says, "To befair, they're also trying to kill us. Not quite as gruesomely as we do to them, of course."
Knight_Otu says, "And not quite as competently."
Jacqueline says, "ha."
Jacqueline says, "Very true."
MoyTravis says, "We're gonna get to her and she'll be all "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN" and we'll be like "ohno" and it will all end in heartbreak or something."
DavidW asks, "How did we even approach the windmill?"
MoyTravis says, "Then we ride off into the sunset singing a sad song."
Knight_Otu says, "We (Roger) lassoed the wagon and repaired it."
DavidW says, "oh"
MoyTravis says, "Uh, we lasso'd the wagon, repaired it, and pushed it in front of us."
Jacqueline says, "We fixed the wagon, then rolled it, using it as cover."
Roger says, "we made the rope into a lasso and lasso'd the wagon and used the pulley to pull it to us and then repaired the wheel with the big barrel hoop and then pushed it as cover to the windmill"
MoyTravis says, "lol"
Roger says, "as one does"
DavidW asks, "And Podge? A stampede with windmill guy's gun, maybe?"
Roger says, "Oh and we stampeded the cattle by remembering that we had some spare bullets and a nearby fire"
Krumar says, "now its time to burn whitey."
DavidW asks, "We had bullets?"
MoyTravis says, "Threw bullets (from our bandolier) into the brazier to create gunshot sounds."
Knight_Otu says, "Then we had to push the wagon back to get the brand that we left in the fire, then return to use the brand and the lard to unlock the windmill mechanism."
Roger says, "in our bandolier (and still do, actually)"
MoyTravis says, "Yeah we just...had 'em. The whole time."
DavidW says, "oh. Forgot about the bandolier. Sorry."
Roger says, "as did we all."
Knight_Otu says, "We did too, David."
Roger says, "anyways now we're stuck again and about to resort to a bit of the hint system"
DavidW asks, "So we haven't used the brazier or the pulley thing or the branding iron?"
Jacqueline says, "We have used all three now."
DavidW says, "oh"
Jacqueline says, "The brazier to cook bullets for the stampede."
Jacqueline says, "The pully to get the wagon."
DavidW asks, "Any new items from wagon, windmill, etc?"
Knight_Otu says, "The brazier was used with the bullets, the pulley to get the wagon, and the iron to unlock the windmill mechanism."
Jacqueline says, "the branding iron to turn on the windmill, thus flinging its sniper to a grizzly death below. SLAT"
Knight_Otu says, "Two keys, a board, and some ominous letters."
Jacqueline says, "er, SPLAT"
Jacqueline says, "We should maybe reread the letters for David."
DavidW asks, "ess pee el a tee?"
Roger says (to floyd), "i"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > I
CF |
CF | You are carrying:
CF | a branding iron
CF | Felipe's key
CF | a tattered paper
CF | a broken board
CF | a lasso
CF | two small hoops
CF | a bloody paper
CF | a lump of lard wrapped in a red calico kerchief
CF | a fencing tool
CF | a few lumps of sugar
CF | a whip
CF | a gold casket
CF | your regular duds (being worn)
CF | a gun belt (being worn)
CF | a bandolier (being worn)
CF | your faithful guitar, Lulabelle (being worn)
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x bloody paper"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > X BLOODY PAPER
CF |
CF | The paper is torn and blood-stained. You can only make out a few
CF | words, which seem to be a portion of a letter.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "read bloody paper"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > READ BLOODY PAPER
CF |
CF | A broad, sprawling hand has written:
CF |
CF | "I'm also sending you a portion of the funds I brought with me, in the
CF | hopes that it will help you. True patriots will still…"
CF |
CF | Blood obliterates everything else.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "oh, the Confed money we burned in the brazier."
DavidW says, "Those funds."
Roger says, "yeah -- that was on Hodge, the guy in the corral"
DavidW asks, "Hodge Podge?"
Krumar says, "Yes Podge"
Roger says (to floyd), "read tattered paper"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > READ TATTERED PAPER
CF |
CF | The tattered paper turns out to be the last page of a letter. It
CF | begins mid-sentence:
CF |
CF | "…railroads will inhibit the movement of troops within the Republic.
CF | The trestle is the most urgent target, but any damage that slows or
CF | reverses progress on the railroad serves us well.
CF |
CF | "We have great need of gold and silver. Intercepting the tax will
CF | serve a dual purpose of impeding the invading forces while supplying
CF | our own cause with hard funds for the fight.
CF |
CF | "In addition, any other activities that generate funds are hereby
CF | approved.
CF |
CF | 'Fellow patriots'
CF |
CF | "I know that the Republic that produced the Battle of Palmito and the
CF | Second Battle of Sabine Pass will not fail in our hour of need. Stay
CF | true, and we shall yet redeem our cause.
CF |
CF | "P. M."
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Oh right. I'd forgotten that there was burned up worthless Confederate money in the brazier."
Krumar says, "We ran him over with cows."
Jacqueline says, "As one does."
Jacqueline says, "Pretty standard assassination tool, really."
Roger says, "H is for Hodge, run over by cows"
Krumar says, "it was kind of like that scene in the Lion King, I'll bet there is a name for murder like that."
Knight_Otu asks, "Stampedecide?"
Jacqueline laughs.
MoyTravis asks, "Anyways we gonna hint this or we gonna...what's goin' on?"
Roger says, "my vote is for hint"
DavidW asks, "hmm. We haven't used the lard yet?"
Jacqueline says, "We needed the lard to grease a rusted mechanism"
DavidW says, "oh"
Jacqueline says, "In the windmill"
Krumar says, "We haven't used the hay yet."
Knight_Otu says, "Yeah."
Krumar says, "I think It needs to be put someplace and lit on fire."
Jacqueline asks (of Roger), "Do you want me to do the hint thing, like last time, or you got it?"
DavidW says, "Hay is for Horses, who snort in the stable."
Roger says, "we used the hay to light the brazier"
Knight_Otu says, "We used the hay for kindling and as horse bribe."
Krumar says, "Oh"
Roger says (to Jacq), "if you could, please"
Knight_Otu says, "Could still be useful again, of course."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "hint"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | > How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | > How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
Jacqueline presses the yellow enter button.
CF ] How can I kill Whitey?
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "We knew that."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "no."
Jacqueline says, "We figured that."
MoyTravis says, "norly game"
DavidW says, "gotta smoke him out, right"
Jacqueline says, "I always feel snarky in the early parts of hint trees."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. DavidW says (to Jacqueline), "oh me too"
MoyTravis says, "game"
Jacqueline says (to DW), "You may be on to something."
MoyTravis says, "game please don't do this"
Jacqueline asks, "Keep going?"
MoyTravis says, "yes but I am going to be very mad if this goes where I think it'll go"
Knight_Otu says, "We haven't heard anything we haven't known."
Jacqueline says, "I think it will, Travis. Stand by for anger."
MoyTravis says, "it'll be like "you have to stuff the straw into the cracks of the trapdoor""
Krumar says, "Its either light it on fire or get the cows back to finish off another badguy."
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. MoyTravis says, ""then you have to use the branding iron because it's too tall to light it from the floor""
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | 5/11: Extremely flammable hay!
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Knight_Otu says, "Very funny, game."
DavidW says, "I assume we couldn't reach the sprig or whatever it's called, dangling from the trapdoor."
Jacqueline says, "Oh game. Oh game oh game oh game"
Roger asks, "oh maybe we just throw a lit match?"
Roger says (to floyd), "light match" Jacqueline asks (of Roger), "Want to try?"
Krumar asks, "could you touch the hay with the branding iron?"
MoyTravis asks, "We don't have matches though?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "q" DavidW asks (of Roger), "We have matches now?"
Jacqueline says, "oops."
Roger says, "whoops sorry"
Jacqueline pushes the green 'space' button.
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | > How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "q"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | There's an armload of hay in a pile here.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "Now"
Roger says (to floyd), "light match"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT MATCH
CF |
CF | You quickly repeat the steps to ignite a disc.
CF |
CF | The gray disc has caught fire. It's smoldering and giving off a trail
CF | of malodorous smoke.
CF |
CF | > Knight_Otu says, "We don't have matches, we have that guy's novelty lighter, technically."
Roger says (to floyd), "throw disk at trapdoor"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > THROW DISK AT TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | (first taking the glowing disc)
CF | You don't want to handle it... it's on fire! If you need to burn
CF | something, you can just use the whole lighter.
CF |
CF | Whitey's rifle probes through the opening to the hayloft, and you
CF | catch a glimpse of his pasty face peering from the dark above. You're
CF | at a bad angle for him, but he squeezes off a quick shot to keep you
CF | honest. You cringe back against the wall. You can't keep doing this —
CF | you're going to have to eliminate Whitey somehow.
CF |
CF | > DavidW asks, "Light the haypile here?"
MoyTravis says, "I thought we tried that."
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with match"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH MATCH
CF |
CF | (the hay with the gold casket)
CF | The hay looks like great kindling, but there's no point in setting
CF | fire to it here.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, "And it said there's no reason to."
Roger says (to floyd), "out"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > OUT
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | You hear boards creak as Whitey repositions himself, and see his rifle
CF | barrel jutting from the window above. You stay carefully out of his
CF | view.
CF |
CF | > DavidW says, "oh."
Krumar asks, "light hankercheif?"
Roger says (to floyd), "light hay with match"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT HAY WITH MATCH
CF |
CF | The hay looks like great kindling, but there's no point in setting
CF | fire to the feed trough.
CF |
CF | You hear a board shift in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light kerchief"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT KERCHIEF
CF |
CF | The lump of lard melts from the heat, but doesn't catch.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "SO MUCH FUN"
Roger says, "alright thanks for letting me try just one more time"
MoyTravis says, "Stuff the handkerchief with hay"
Roger exclaims, "back to hintery!"
MoyTravis says, "put a rock it in"
Jacqueline says, "Okay"
MoyTravis says, "throw it in the window"
MoyTravis says, "curse the game-maker"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "hint"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | > How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "n"
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | > How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse?
Jacqueline presses the yellow enter button.
CF ] How can I kill Whitey?
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | 5/11: Extremely flammable hay!
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint.
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | 5/11: Extremely flammable hay!
CF |
CF | 6/11: And it's almost within reach inside the barn.
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint.
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | 5/11: Extremely flammable hay!
CF |
CF | 6/11: And it's almost within reach inside the barn.
CF |
CF | 7/11: Do you have a source of fire?
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. Jacqueline says, "OMG GAME"
DavidW asks, "so throw the casket at it?"
Knight_Otu says, "Yes, game..."
Jacqueline says, "I was wondering if we toss the whole thing in, but that seems..."
Krumar asks, "could we stand on something?"
Jacqueline asks, "...though I guess it's probably fire proof and we can just retrieve it after the fire, maybe?"
Krumar asks, "stand on soemthing to light the hay?"
DavidW says (to Krumar), "Not that I found."
Jacqueline asks, "Keep hinting, or leave the hint menu?"
MoyTravis says, "Just...tell me what dumb thing you want, game"
Roger says, "I'd like more"
MoyTravis says, "so we can be free"
Jacqueline says, "Freeeeeee"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "h"
CF | 1/11: You can't get into the hayloft.
CF |
CF | 2/11: And he won't come down voluntarily.
CF |
CF | 3/11: What's a hayloft full of?
CF |
CF | 4/11: Hay!
CF |
CF | 5/11: Extremely flammable hay!
CF |
CF | 6/11: And it's almost within reach inside the barn.
CF |
CF | 7/11: Do you have a source of fire?
CF |
CF | 8/11: How about something that's just really hot?
CF |
CF | Press SPACE to return to the menu or H to reveal another hint. DavidW says, "I think light the casket and throw at window."
Knight_Otu says, "We shouldn't need to toss the whole thing in, as we may need it in other places depending on how we sequence things."
DavidW says, "ooooh."
Jacqueline asks, "The branding iron?"
Roger exclaims, "I tried that too!"
DavidW says, "Throw the BRANDING IRON."
MoyTravis says, "We tried that."
Roger says, "but I can try again"
DavidW asks, "really?"
DavidW asks, "At what?"
Roger says, "oh maybe it's long enough to just reach up"
MoyTravis says, "It said it would expose us to enemy fire."
Jacqueline pushes the green 'space' button.
CF ] Instructions
CF ]
CF ] N = Next Q = Quit Menu
CF ] P = Previous ENTER = Select
CF | How do I get to the ranch house?
CF | > How can I kill Whitey?
CF | How can I get into the bunkhouse? Krumar asks, "what about just touching it witht iron?"
Jacqueline says (to ClubFloyd), "q"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | > Jacqueline says, "All yours, Roger."
MoyTravis asks, "I thought we tried THAT too? To use it on the trapdoor?"
MoyTravis says, "Or, it's, like. Maybe we need to use it specifically on "hayloft""
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | There's an armload of hay in a pile here.
CF |
CF | You hear the rasp of Whitey's breathing.
CF |
CF | The last traces of the red glow fade from the tip of the branding
CF | iron.
CF |
CF | > Krumar asks, "touch trap door with iron?"
MoyTravis asks, "and not "hay"?"
DavidW says, "There;s a wisp or something dangling from the trapdoor. I forget what the game calls it."
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x trapdoor"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > X TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | You can't see any such thing.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "s"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > S
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | a safe distance from his vantage point in the barn.
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF | There's nothing in that direction.
CF |
CF | With a final burst of sparks, the glowing disc is fully consumed.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "w"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > W
CF |
CF |
CF | North of the Corral
CF | You've circled around to the south end of the ranch. To your north,
CF | across a patch of open ground, the two-story ranch house looms over
CF | the landscape.
CF |
CF | To your south, a wooden gate leads to a large corral. An imposing
CF | padlock holds the gate closed. The Longhorns are long gone, returned
CF | to the open range.
CF |
CF | You could follow the fence around the corral to the southeast or
CF | southwest. The bunkhouse is back to the east.
CF |
CF | To one side of the gate, a cast iron brazier stands on three stubby
CF | legs. Inside, you've kindled some scrap wood into a nice hot fire.
CF |
CF | The last traces of the red glow fade from the tip of the branding
CF | iron.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron in fire.z.z.z."
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON IN FIRE.Z.Z.Z.
CF |
CF | (the branding iron in the wood fire)
CF | You put the branding iron into the brazier.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the branding iron begins to glow with a red heat.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | In the brazier, the glow of the branding iron rises from crimson to a
CF | searing white.
CF |
CF | Time passes.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "take iron"
CF ] North of the Corral
CF ] Exits: N s se sw e
CF |
CF | > TAKE IRON
CF |
CF | (the branding iron)
CF | You carefully pick up the branding iron by its cool end.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "e"
CF ] Outside the Bunkhouse
CF ] Exits: n NW S w
CF |
CF | > E
CF |
CF |
CF | Outside the Bunkhouse
CF | Just to your south is a dilapidated bunkhouse. A new-looking door
CF | blocks entrance to the building.
CF |
CF | A disused water trough, clogged with algae, stands in front of the
CF | bunkhouse.
CF |
CF | The remains of the barrel you smashed are here: a gelatinous mass of
CF | lard, slowly liquefying in the Texas sun.
CF |
CF | The main house dominates the view to your northwest. Off to your west,
CF | you can see an empty corral. You can return to the barn to the north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "n"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > N
CF |
CF | Moving carefully to stay out of Whitey's sightlines, you work your way
CF | into the safe area under the projection.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.
CF |
CF | The hayloft projects overhead here, creating a pool of shade beneath.
CF | The coolness provides a welcome change from the scorching of the Texas
CF | sun. From beneath the overhang, you cannot see the hayloft window
CF | where Whitey crouches in wait for you.
CF |
CF | A feed trough filled with hay stands flush with the barn wall here.
CF |
CF | The ranch house is west of you, across a long stretch of open ground.
CF | To your south, you can see the bunkhouse. The stable is back to the
CF | north.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "enter barn"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > ENTER BARN
CF |
CF | (the feed barn)
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | The interior of the barn is cool and dim after the unrelenting sun
CF | outside. The normal ranch paraphernalia seems to have been cleared
CF | out. Overhead, through a square trapdoor, you can see a sliver of the
CF | hayloft. The ladder that would normally provide access is missing —
CF | probably Whitey pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | The occasional shift of boards and hoarse exhalations tell you that
CF | Whitey is still up in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | There's an armload of hay in a pile here.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "x trapdoor"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > X TRAPDOOR
CF |
CF | The upper level of the barn is a hayloft. A small opening provides
CF | access from the main floor. Through it, you can see the barn roof high
CF | above, but most of the hayloft is invisible to you. A tangle of hay
CF | trails through the opening, but it's still a couple of feet out of
CF | reach.
CF |
CF | You'd expect a ladder here, but it's missing — probably Whitey has
CF | pulled it up after him.
CF |
CF | Whitey crouches somewhere above you, guarding the center of the ranch
CF | compound. You occasionally hear the soft rasp of his adenoidal
CF | breathing.
CF |
CF | You hear footsteps as Whitey changes position.
CF |
CF | > Krumar says, "hay in a pile"
DavidW says, "TANGLE"
MoyTravis says, ""tangle of hay""
Roger says (to floyd), "hit tangle with iron"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > HIT TANGLE WITH IRON
CF |
CF | The branding iron doesn't make a very good weapon.
CF |
CF | The glowing tip of the branding iron fades from white to ruby.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "undo"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > UNDO
CF |
CF | Inside the Barn
CF | [Previous turn undone.]
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis says, ""hay" doesn't count"
MoyTravis says, "lol"
Roger says (to floyd), "touch tangle with iron"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > TOUCH TANGLE WITH IRON
CF |
CF | I only understood you as far as wanting to touch the hayloft.
CF |
CF | > MoyTravis asks, "Burn?"
Roger says (to floyd), "put iron on tangle"
CF ] Inside the Barn
CF ] Exits: w
CF |
CF | > PUT IRON ON TANGLE
CF |
CF | There's no point in putting things on the hayloft.
CF |
CF | The glowing tip of the branding iron fades from white to ruby.
CF |
CF | >
Roger says (to floyd), "light tangle with iron"
CF ] Outside the Barn
CF ] Exits: n s e W
CF |
CF | > LIGHT TANGLE WITH IRON
CF |
CF | Well, you don't see any way around this. Reluctantly, you extend the
CF | glowing branding iron, and touch it to the dangling clump of hay. The
CF | hay smokes, then lights, and a small trail of flame creeps up toward
CF | the opening above.
CF |
CF | You hear shifting boards above; Whitey must be taking another peek out
CF | the hayloft window. Tense moments later, you see the glow of open
CF | flames reflected in the dark hayloft.
CF |
CF | "What in…? What are you doing, Boots?!?" Whitey's high tenor rises
CF | into a falsetto as he realizes his predicament. There's a rush of
CF | boots across the ceiling, then stomping and shifting shadows as Whitey
CF | tries to stamp out the growing fire.
CF |
CF | It's too late for that, though, and Whitey shrieks as he runs across
CF | the creaky hayloft toward the front window again. There's a
CF | whump from above, and suddenly the hayloft is engulfed. You
CF | hear a thud outside, then silence.
CF |
CF | Cautiously, you stick your head outside, then step out of the barn.
CF |
CF | Whitey's neck is bent at an unnatural angle — he must have broken it
CF | when he jumped from the hayloft. You remove your hat for a moment as
CF | you contemplate the tragedy of a life lost.
CF |
CF | Smoke rises from Whitey's clothes, but there's no open fire. His rifle
CF | is nowhere to be seen; it's most likely back in the hayloft.
CF |
CF | You see the corner of a soiled sheet of paper peek from a pocket of
CF | his dungarees.
CF |
CF | Outside the Barn
CF | A sun-bleached barn stands to your east. Its door gapes open, darkness
CF | concealing the interior.